What makes green water stains?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have well water (which is the usual colorless/odorless/tasteless liquid.) But I get bright green stains everywhere the water runs out--in the tub, in the bathroom sinks... Not really in the toilets or kitchen sinks which get more chemicals in them.

Obviously it isn't poisonous or we'd all be dead. What could it be?

Cassandra

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No idea! I live in a 30 year old house. Could be old hollowed out dino bones! :lol:

I do know that some of the plumbing is starting to go, though. Since I bought the house two years ago, I have had to have a lot of work done on the plumbing. (the part that we can get to. Not the part that's buried under the concrete foundation.)

Cassandra

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Obviously it isn't poisonous or we'd all be dead. What could it be?

Cassandra
Not so obvious, you could be getting contaminants at a small level building up in your body? Just a thought! I'd get your water tested just to be certain!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Check your hot water tank it is probably half filled with sludge...You will probably have to replace it, but once you see what is in it you will be glad you did:>) And your water will be much better too.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been doing some searching and can't get a straight answer! It's anything from copper and lead that's going to imminently kill us all (mostly from companies who are trying to sell me a $1,500 cleaning system) to not a really serious problem.

The most likely scenario seems to be acidic water that is leaching copper out of the pipes. In that case, I think there is some kind of system that can be attached to the well. Nothing like that is in the budget for the moment, however. We'll have to save up for it.

Cassandra

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Check your hot water tank it is probably half filled with sludge...You will probably have to replace it, but once you see what is in it you will be glad you did:>) And your water will be much better too.
I will check it. This would explain why the toilets seem unaffected. I checked them and there is no green staining inside the tank either, which never gets cleaned with anything.

ummm... how would I look in the tank? Does it have a lid? Or a peephole? :D

Cassandra

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There should be a spigot at the bottom. Attach a section of hose and run to drain or have a container to catch the water. You will get a lot of sludge out of it.

This reminds me that ours is due for a draining.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Your local water department should test your water for free, at least they used to.....

I would not hesitate to get that tested as soon as possible. Not a good sign, that. Green stains. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good reminder for me
I need to clean out the water heater tank also......hmm...good project for Tony :)
muuuhahaha...just what he needs, more on the do list!

Latest posts