What money-saving pearl of wisdom did you find on SS?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I need to find more ways to economize.

I'd like to start a thread of what was the best money saving idea you found on here, and we can discuss the ideas too.

I learned about making my own laundry detergent and it has saved me cash every month and I like how my clothes come out and washer operates BETTER than before. I'm sure you have all seen the threads here and on BYC.

What other great ideas did you guys find?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think I found my way here looking for info on homemade feminine products, or grinding wheat into flour....I was researching both around the same time. Both have saved me lotsa money.

I got hundreds of free canning jars, something I'd never considered until reading posts here...then I just put the word out, and they started flowing in.

I cut my dishwasher powder with borax and washing soda. So we use half now.

I use more cloth napkins and rags and fewer paper towels and paper napkins. (Nasty things still get the paper towels! Pet accidents, especially! :sick )

General comments:

I also get lots of encouragement and cheering for my projects, which I find INVALUABLE. Most everybody here in the 'burbs thinks I'm nuts and isn't afraid to say so....or they just walk away and say nothing, not wanting to hear about anything that I find fascinating. I think that is the most important thing I've gotten here. (Which is why I now hit the report button heavily whenever there is nastiness! Who needs it! And it works!)

I also get oodles of inspiration for new projects, things I never considered.

I actually find myself searching for ways to save and such just so I can post it here! :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am pretty good at saving money, but I find ways to save TIME here. THAT is more valuable than gold sometimes :D I am pretty sure it was someone here who linked me to the no till gardening method.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is funny that I find the more SS I try, the more time I lose

time is super valuable to me, there just isn't enough time in a day
with getting older I now do a bit LESS SS stuff actually I am shutting down a monster part of my farm now I am too damn tired to handle this workload actually I don't like the stiff in my towels from the line so I went back to the dryer on towels but I am keeping the T-shirts and things on the line lol

for regular old SS I think best for me was just the energy discussions, using CFLs saved like $30 per month off my bill....and being more conscious about energy I use

second thing I got from SS discussions was KISS Keep it Simple Stupid LOL for me it is invaluable anytime I think a major project etc, I backtrack and take more time to think how can I keep it super simple to take less time

most valuable thing I learned is that I do not want to live complicated anymore I am slowly changing my life to EASY Easy is what I want now so starting a SS adventure made me realize that I want less rat race in my life and more fun memory making times

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FC-- I'm with you on the stiff towels, AND blue jeans that stand up by themselves after line drying. I've found that if you get them almost dry, then toss them in the dryer to finish off, they end up soft enough

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I also get lots of encouragement and cheering for my projects, which I find INVALUABLE. Most everybody here in the 'burbs thinks I'm nuts and isn't afraid to say so....or they just walk away and say nothing, not wanting to hear about anything that I find fascinating. I think that is the most important thing I've gotten here. (Which is why I now hit the report button heavily whenever there is nastiness! Who needs it! And it works!)

I also get oodles of inspiration for new projects, things I never considered.
I second this!

I also learned a bunch about canning and fermenting here. I don't know anyone else who does it, so the information here has been wonderful.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have gleaned so much info and encouragement from the members here, it would be impossible to list!

I try to give back as much help, ideas and encouragement as I get but it is tough to do sometimes!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The #1 thing I've gotten here is encouragement. I would have given up so many times without this forum. (Thank you!)

Latest posts