what next

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
turnips are just about played out. the lettuce is bolting. I should habe a fairly large area to plant something in when I clear that stuff out. not sure what I want to plant next.

any good crops to sew in June? that I don't already have going?

what I have:
cucumbers
yellow squash
crookneck squash
acorn squash
butternut squash
tomatoes
peppers
potatoes
green beans
carrots
onions
garlic
melons
herbs

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh... I forgot I also have
mustard greens
collard greens
sweet corn
beets

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yeah I got zucchini too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
turnips are just about played out. the lettuce is bolting. I should habe a fairly large area to plant something in when I clear that stuff out. not sure what I want to plant next.

any good crops to sew in June? that I don't already have going?

what I have:
cucumbers
yellow squash
crookneck squash
acorn squash
butternut squash
tomatoes
peppers
potatoes
green beans
carrots
onions
garlic
melons
herbs

what area/climate/conditions/soils do you have?

i'm just getting beans planted (some of them could have gone in a few weeks ago but i've been a bit too busy with other things).

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the taste of radishes, but they don't do well in the hot summer. Enter Rat Tail Radish Pods! They taste like radishes, but look a little like small pea pods. You can eat them raw (magnificent with dip), or stir fried (they lose some of their heat, but keep the taste) and I've been told you can pickle them too, though I've never done that. They will keep setting new pods as long as you keep picking them; pick them when they are young and not fully filled out because they can get a teensy bit tough when they get older. I'm not positive, but I think they also deliver less carbs than the roots do.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pumpkins do take a few months to mature, so you should plan that...as well as huge vining but -- great taste and they store ok when hardened for winter.

More melons? Very tasty!
More corn? It will still grow well in heat -- just water it.
Beans that you grow for DRY bean use -- kidney, pinto, etc.

You got started earlier than here but, I look at this once crops are at or nearing "done" -- WHAT do I want more of to eat fresh, or can. The variety you have covers most everything, so I'm thinking along the line of "more of". In your temps it's a little early to plant cole crops but, you can think about them. Some need to be started mid/late summer to mature before a heavy winter -- which some people do have. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what area/climate/conditions/soils do you have?

i'm just getting beans planted (some of them could have gone in a few weeks ago but i've been a bit too busy with other things).

north Texas. Sandy soil. zone 7 I believe. weather can be crazy. it should hit 100s in the next month or so. right now we are having an unseasonably wet and prolonged spring. it won't get cool until Oct. we still have plenty of growing season and I was thinking of planting more root crops and greens around sept to grow threw the winter.