what next

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok, thanks, yeah, any of the cowpeas should like the heat. okra and eggplant are two others that come to mind.

the root crops do best here in cooler weather but Mom basically doesn't like them if they are not potatoes or carrots. i've tried turnips and other things but she doesn't like them enough for me to devote a lot of space to them. i mostly use them as cover crops like the diakon radishes.

she will eat beets but i think it is too late for them and last time we grew them some animal took a shine to them so she was upset by that and doesn't want to grow them again. i like the beet greens along with the beets and also the various chards but Mom hates chards. lol hard to find things she likes. thank goodness she likes beans and peas. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ok, thanks, yeah, any of the cowpeas should like the heat. okra and eggplant are two others that come to mind.

the root crops do best here in cooler weather but Mom basically doesn't like them if they are not potatoes or carrots. i've tried turnips and other things but she doesn't like them enough for me to devote a lot of space to them. i mostly use them as cover crops like the diakon radishes.

she will eat beets but i think it is too late for them and last time we grew them some animal took a shine to them so she was upset by that and doesn't want to grow them again. i like the beet greens along with the beets and also the various chards but Mom hates chards. lol hard to find things she likes. thank goodness she likes beans and peas. :)

Eggplant is the ONLY plant I use seven dust on else the next day they are eaten up...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kale, broccoli, cabbage. More zucchini. Can never have too much of that. And, yes... I'm serious! Sugar snap peas (best wait till cooler weather for them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Broccoli and cabbage aren't good choices for June in Texas. Too hot unless there are some hot weather varieties that I'm not aware of. I vote for more zucchini!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
guys i planted ALOT of summer squash and zucchini. i ended up going with black eyed peas.
next up the lettuce patches will be done for so I will replant something there as well. may be more hot peppers if I can find starts somewhere

I really want to plant more beets and carrots in late sept for fall. we eat alot of both of those crops.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest purple hull peas. I have a cool weather patch that is done now, I need to pull up everything, weed, prepare the soil again and I will plant it in purple hull peas. I think I will can at least some of them this year. Typically, I prefer them frozen, they just taste fresher. I'll can some and we will give it the taste test.

How do you get carrots to grow well for you? I really suck at raising carrots. I would be glad to take pointers from you, maybe a step by step for carrot dummies? LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was going to suggest purple hull peas. I have a cool weather patch that is done now, I need to pull up everything, weed, prepare the soil again and I will plant it in purple hull peas. I think I will can at least some of them this year. Typically, I prefer them frozen, they just taste fresher. I'll can some and we will give it the taste test.

How do you get carrots to grow well for you? I really suck at raising carrots. I would be glad to take pointers from you, maybe a step by step for carrot dummies? LOL

I just grow them in raised beds full of compost. they do ok but it takes forever! slow growing crop for sure

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

might be pretty difficult to get them going in sandy soil as they do like fairly even moisture to get sprouted. perhaps the burlap bag trick will work for you. get your seed bed prepped and plant the seeds at the recommended depth and then water them in gently (ahem :) ), wet down some burlap bags and put those over them. a few times a day check to make sure things are still damp and then at the time when you start expecting sprouts check to see if any are poking up. of course you do have to remove the burlap once you start seeing some sprouts - they'd be funny shaped or hard to harvest growing through burlap... ;)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
might be pretty difficult to get them going in sandy soil as they do like fairly even moisture to get sprouted. perhaps the burlap bag trick will work for you. get your seed bed prepped and plant the seeds at the recommended depth and then water them in gently (ahem :) ), wet down some burlap bags and put those over them. a few times a day check to make sure things are still damp and then at the time when you start expecting sprouts check to see if any are poking up. of course you do have to remove the burlap once you start seeing some sprouts - they'd be funny shaped or hard to harvest growing through burlap... ;)

they always grow good for me here. may be it's the woodchips?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I find the best way to get carrots to sprout is by watering the bed well, then covering with wet cardboard to hold the moisture in and hopefully keep down the weed sprouting. I check and replenish moisture every day, and remove the cardboard as soon as the carrots sprout. Old carpet works real well b/c it holds the moisture better.

@Chic Rustler Wood chips would be a natural for facilitating carrots, I would think.