What season is this?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a forsythia in bloom :p They never did bloom in the spring which wasn't that odd because the chickens ate the buds off as high as they could reach. It's been so cool here this year. I think we have only had 2 days at 90 degrees and many, many days in the low to mid 70's with temps in the 50's and 60s at night. And it's been wet. I haven't watered anything but the raised beds and only a couple times. I can't remember a summer like this.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh it has been the same way here for the last two months. In AR! The summer here started normal the turned really cool. The other morning it was in the 50's and only got into the low 80's all day. And according to the weather we are not going to reach the 90's at all for the next week. And it has been so wet. Normally in August we're running close to 100 and dry. We had the wettest July in 118 years according to the newspaper. It feels just like fall. I've lived here most of my life and don't remember it being this cool for this long. A couple of years ago our cherry tree bloomed and had little cherries in september which freaked me out. It bloomed twice in one year and in the nearly 20 years we had it it had never done that before. It was a really bad winter that year if I remember right.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I have a forsythia in bloom :p They never did bloom in the spring which wasn't that odd because the chickens ate the buds off as high as they could reach. It's been so cool here this year. I think we have only had 2 days at 90 degrees and many, many days in the low to mid 70's with temps in the 50's and 60s at night. And it's been wet. I haven't watered anything but the raised beds and only a couple times. I can't remember a summer like this.
Do you happen to live nextdoor?!? Sounds just like our summer here in WI. I guess it's great for the cool crops, but our tomatoes are STILL not ripening. Thank goodness the melons are on black plastic. We MIGHT get a crop from them. And the lettuce and spinach lasted forever, so I guess this is an example of what I'm always telling my husband--gardening is great compared to monocropping. If the weather is funky, SOMEthing is going to love it :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I so love this cool summer! I've had a great garden, tomatoes are ripening, the potato plants usually die back by now but are still chugging along with huge potatoes. Bumper crop of Italian green beans (36 quarts canned so far), I've been canning every spare moment.
Neighbors are experiencing huge pumpkin vine loss, so it may be too cool causing fungal problems. Too bad because they market them and use to supplement their fixed income in winter.

If I had to guess about the Forsythia, it has less to do with the temperatures and more with the chicken damage.
The plant needed time to regrow the buds, realized that it hadn't gone into winter dormancy and proceeded with the flowering. You may have less flowers next spring.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow weather patterns are so weird this year
I truly wonder if they are "changing" right before our eyes.

In NC we were cool--only in the 80s sometimes when we should have been in the 100s

Right now...it finally hit real summer. Hot and humid here with high temps. And rain, we have been having drought over the last years.

I don't know...strange big time.

I told Tony that we could easily do alot of summer trips in Sept and Oct because I believe the are going to be hotter than normal here.

????who knows.
plays havoc with the plantings though..LOL

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am sitting here freezing in front of my computer!! Thank goodness my coffee is hot.

Temp outside is 57 degrees @ 9:43 am. The high today is only supposed to get to 66!

I am in heaven, I love to snuggle up in my warm clothes on a cold day. (Snorffling weather!)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
BBH, this is my favorite kind of weather, too :) It's great for exercising, working hard outside, picking blackberries. I just need those melons and tomatoes to ripen first, though, and then I can sit back in my sweater with my cup of tea :)

Latest posts