What the heck is this?

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Today I went with my neighbor to help split firewood for a local widow woman. While there I saw what looked like a long skinny water melon hanging from a tree and on further inspection there were several of them hanging from a vine out of reach in a tree. I asked her what they are and she said they are eatin gourds that you fry up like green tomatoes. I have tried to find them online with no luck. Does anyone know what they really are and where can i find seeds for it. To describe them in detail the one i looked at closely was 2' 6" long and big around as a small cantaloupe and was light green with lighter green splotches on it, it was smooth like a water melon and seemed heavy for its size. She says they are delicious and now i want to taste one.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
You can still eat the larger ones, we just cook them differently. The small ones are great fried like green tomatoes, cut length ways and stuffed like a bell pepper, etc. The larger ones we usually cut up and either make a soup or casserole.

I believe that there are at least a couple of different varieties and generally can grow to about three feet long.. We've always referred to them as a Sicilian Squash (Cucuzza), but technically, I believe they are an edible gourd.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good lord, I thought zuke grew huge. better keep those cucucuczuzuzuzs out of my garden or it will be like the monster pods coming

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Huh. I got a call last night from an older friend and he offered me a two-foot-long whatever-it-is-called, I think it is the same thing. Sounds like it. He is gonna bring it to our religious services tomorrow night. He said, "I know you like to experiment with new things...." He and his wife have been a great resource for me, information and canning jars!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard you can eat luffah gourds (that the sponges come from) when they are young. Maybe it was one of those.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Huh. I got a call last night from an older friend and he offered me a two-foot-long whatever-it-is-called, I think it is the same thing. Sounds like it. He is gonna bring it to our religious services tomorrow night. He said, "I know you like to experiment with new things...." He and his wife have been a great resource for me, information and canning jars!
:lol: :gig :lol: TMI!!!