What the ????? Stupid Miami Law

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been researching chicken ordinances for all of Florida and this is what I found in Miami......*still shaking my head in disbelief*

Miami, FL. May have up to 15 hens, no roosters. But must be contained at least 100 feet from neighboring structures. So tenants and homeowners that reside in a residential zoning district cannot raise or breed chickens. Droppings shall not be used for fertilizer. All poultry or fowl droppings shall be removed from the pens at least twice weekly, wrapped in paper and placed in covered garbage cans for removal.
Good one Miami! Lets just fertilise the landfill. :idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh geez. That is half the benefit of HAVING birds! My duck poop fertilized plants are going crazy right now.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:(awww that is sooo sad!!!! :(

we should add an amendment to the constitution,

"the gov shal make no law restricting the growing of food, of plant or animal".

solve all of the problems lol. :lol:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that Miami is so close to sea level? :idunno

That would make sense! Just sayin' ... :idunno

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
The only thing I can think of is that Miami is so close to sea level? :idunno

That would make sense! Just sayin' ... :idunno
That could be it.. Ive never been to that part of the country. But I wonder... Do they sell manure at the stores as fertilizer.. If they do then it would seem odd for this rule..

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think in most of Florida the water table is 6ft down (don't know how much above sea level) ......but then they go and spray all the canals for mosquitos and they spray for weeds on ALL of the thousands of golf courses.......Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't believe that rule has anything to do with the water table. My guess is the rule originated because of the large latino population.... and before you say I sound racist, I'm not implying that at all. Latinos tend to be more SS than most folks and are more likely to keep chickens, rabbits, a pig or two, etc., in a small backyard. The rule sounds like an uninformed attempt to keep animal waste and odor at a minimum, but mainly to discourage folks from having chickens in the first place.