What time of year do strawberries & Apples go on sale?

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Im waiting for apples to go on sell for 0.50/ LB and strawberries for 1.00/LB. Any idea What time of year they go down?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In what general area of the country do you live? To get lower prices, you'll have to buy locally, most of the time. The harvest season varies by region.

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
In what general area of the country do you live? To get lower prices, you'll have to buy locally, most of the time. The harvest season varies by region.
Mississippi

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Cool.

I know there are some folks from that general area here who will know better than me. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm in TN and around here strawberries go on sale in early Summer. Apples are on sale early Fall, though there wasn't much of a sale around here this year. Everything has gone up so much it's difficult to make the distinction anymore!! I'd suggest getting you some strawberry plants and finding an apple tree in somone's yard and asking permission to gather some. That is what I do. It's just too high to buy them now! There are lots of forclosure properties that will allow you to take the fruit from the property too if you ask the real estate agent. They don't want to have to clean up the lawn and it can be an eyesore for all that to be laying on the ground. I have collected a lot of apples that way. Just a few suggestions ;)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're farther north than you (like in Canada... :) ) and strawberries generally go on sale in late spring (june for us), apples are usually on sale in late fall... around October...

It's just whenever they are in season in your area... definitely better to try and find a tree that you can pick apples from like Wannabefree said... most people don't use ALL the apples their tree produces.

We're definitely planting strawberries this year... they would never go on sale for less than $2 a pound here so it's worth it to have them in the yard.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have3 people who let us pick from their apple trees. I make apple sauce from them and I ALWAYS give them some of the apple sauce. (They have never asked for it but happy to get it). And they seem happy with that, in fact that is how we got "hooked up" with the last person. Our neighbor told their frind to have us pic apples in exchange for a little apple sauce. Now to find people with cherry trees.:lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NC here, Strawberries are for sale Mid May but not cheap then. June is the peak and there are a bunch of U pick at a $/pound or less. Offen at the very tail of the season they are dirt cheap [u pick] because our berrries are past the prime and the markets are being supplyed from farther north. Not many apples mid state because they need a certain amount of winter chill to produce well. Apples are shipped in from the mountains and farther North. I don't expect to ever see $.50/pound apples here. maybe where more are raised at peak season.....

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with Wannabefree and hwillm1977...get some strawberry plants!

We bought a 4-pack of Ozark Beauty plants in the summer of 2010. Got our first berries this past summer, and though they were kind of small they screamed with honest-to-goodness strawberry flavor! I'll never eat another tasteless, store bought strawberry again! ;)

After they were done fruiting, they sent out runners so I potted them up, babied them and now have 25 plants from the original 4.

Almost forgot...Welcome to the forum! :frow

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
They will be cheapest whenever they are being picked in your area. Growing them would give you the cheapest supply, U-picks are usually a good deal too, or sometimes you can check at the farmers market for 2nds, if you want to can them quick.

Harvest time for apples depends on the variety planted and the location, but most of them get picked between late-ish August and late October. The earliest part of the season will still have higher prices, but it will drop pretty soon.

Harvest time for strawberries varies more. If you want to grow them- you might want to get at least 2 varieties, since some of them produce over a longer period (everbearing) and others produce lots at once- then they are Done for the year.