What to buy and what not to buy at Costco...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
My dad found these articles, and I thought they were useful enough to pass along here (I knew most of it, but never hurts to hear it again....)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-51484582/5-things-you-should-buy-at-costco/?tag=mwuser
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162-51484580/4-things-not-to-buy-at-costco/?tag=mwuser

And through those articles, I found this site: www.thegrocerygame.com but I haven't had a chance to check it out, it looks like it could be useful though!

Edited to try to fix the links... hope this works....

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
hqueen- something wrong with the links - when I click on it it changes to "your link goes here:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We only buy certain things at Sams as well. Canned dog food is a steal there......

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We no longer have a membership to any of this type of store. We found that we might be able to get some stuff for cheaper, but in the long run, we were spending more money because we were buying things we wouldn't normally buy because it was too expensive in a "normal" store.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We don't buy frivilously at Sams either, just the necessities......

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't buy produce at Costco since there are several asian supermarkets around the area. Can get very good stuff much cheaper at them. Sometimes at the farmers market we can find good prices on fruit that I'll can up.

No meats either from Costco. The 3 bucks a pound at the butchers wins out there, too.

Winco has better prices on the grains, and more variety, even though you have to order the bags in. They only take a couple days, though.

We feed the Kirkland Signature dog food. It rates high on quality and is cheaper than the Diamond Naturals (who make the Costco stuff) that also rates well that we were feeding them.

We buy TP, Paper towels (a case will last us a year or more), and some refrigerated and frozen stuff. Hubby has been pricing out the yogurt he likes best. Costco wins hands down on it. There are other grocery stuffs we get, too. Tool stuff. Things like the TV wall mount we priced all over town and bought there.

Costco always has the cheapest gas in the area. Each year we save more than enough to pay for our membership, so it doesn't matter to us that the membership costs.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We have about the same experience with BJ's, which is the most convenient for us. We have stopped buying most regular food from them as we are more interested in the quality than quantity now. But I do buy distilled vinegar there in 1 1/2 gallon jugs for 2 or 3.00. I get my baking soda there, too, which is 13 lbs for 6.97 or something like that. We also get our saline solution there for our contacts, which is much more cost effective than the other stores. They do occasionally have good deals on memory cards or usb drives, which my other half likes to pick up.
Other than that, we don't do much shopping there any more.