What to do if your duck is sportin' the "wet look"...Thanks y'all!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Above the tail a bit. It reminds you (well, me) of like a brush, a row of oily bristles..

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Cool...I will tuck that one away for future reference.

Hubby just mentioned the other day that he wants to get ducks again and make it work. Last time we did not have a good set up for them and we had campbells. hey were not friendly and they were crazy loud!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
Cool...I will tuck that one away for future reference.

Hubby just mentioned the other day that he wants to get ducks again and make it work. Last time we did not have a good set up for them and we had campbells. hey were not friendly and they were crazy loud!
Hi Dace, I don't know about other ducks, but these French Rouens are the most wonderful ducks!! They are chubby and jolly and quiet, save for the normal quacking. My drake is so cute, he follows me everywhere and lets me pick him up. (His wife is more cautious.) They have brought me so much joy, I don't know how I ever lived without them. :love (Duck eggs are wonderful to eat too.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Where is a duck's oil gland?
You know when they flop their heads over their back and rub their faces on that spot on their tail? That's it :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When I was a kid we had mallards and they followed us around the yard, frolicked in the hose with us and were in general quirky fun pets. This year when we got the campbells I thought that I made a well educated choice as they seemed to be favored for backyard pets. I was so disappointed with their personalities. Finally they had to go as they were up at 5:30 everyday quacking loudly!

I will have to look into the F Rouens!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
How is he doing this morning?

I had one duck that always looked wet like that over the winter. But I don't think your drake has her genes. All his drake brothers look fine too and are not preparing to molt . . . usually they will keep those feathers until summer. I would just keep an eye on him. Sometimes it goes away on it's own.

I'll get back to you, if I find any better advice . . . .

How cute, by the way, that he was nibbling your sweat shirt zipper. :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, BBH, try this:
The addition of 50% wheat to the diet helped the majority of the birds. Whole wheat provides vitamin E from the wheat germ. This is easily destroyed in milling. Whole wheat also contains vitamin B which waterfowl need. Supplements such as cod liver oil (on the food) and some maize in the feed in winter may also help alleviate the problem.
I think this might be the biggest problem you are having, but you might want to read the entire article . I haven't had a problem with feeding my ducks just poultry feed and BOSS. Only that one duck of mine ever seemed to have an occassional wet feather problem. :/

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: You can try giving him a bath and sudsing him up too, as per the article I linked to above.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you so much Drake!!

I'm going to read the article right now. Thank you so much!

I sooo wanted to give him a bubble bath in the sink. :p

Latest posts