What to do with apple DROPS?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There is a HUGE standard size apple tree near my "allotment" garden. I can have all of the apples to use as I will. So far in the last 8 years or so I have been able to harvest approximately 2 apples. Two apples in 8 years IS NOT a harvest!!

The problem is squirrels. They are everywhere and they LOVE LOVE LOVE to throw apples out of the tree and just watch them bounce. Sometimes they take a bite or two usually it is just a big game.

I DO harvest the squirrels! :drool Put down my little box traps and have a heyday, but it is usually a stalemate in the end. I eat far more squirrel than I do apple. ;) I finally have decided it isn't THAT bad of a trade off. :gig

However there are still all of those chucked on the ground, one bite out, not quite ripe apples. Seems a great waste.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I guess I though you were supposed to use ripe apples for cider. Will green ones work?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
How would you go about it? Could I make some up and keep it for use in later jellies and jams? That sounds like a good idea!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sheeples are scooping all the drops, though green apple seeds are supposed to be toxic to sheep. Somehow, I don't think that applies to hair sheep....they seem to be able to eat nearly anything without any bad effects.

I've always used sweet apples for cider but I guess it wouldn't matter how sweet they were if you wanted to make any vinegar from the cider.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are perfect for making pectin, I pasted a couple of great sites that had many recipes using the pectin after you make it on this post
http://sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5990&p=2
Let us know how it turns out if you do make it. The Fig and Jam site has several tasty looking recipes if you click on the jam tab at the top of blog.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My sheeples are scooping all the drops, though green apple seeds are supposed to be toxic to sheep. Somehow, I don't think that applies to hair sheep....they seem to be able to eat nearly anything without any bad effects.

I've always used sweet apples for cider but I guess it wouldn't matter how sweet they were if you wanted to make any vinegar from the cider.
My Hairsheep eat some funky stuff too, they are like vacuum cleaners on crack when they see foodstuff. Right now they are climbing the trees for mesquite beans which are sugary and loved by all the animals we have.