What to do with beef bones???

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got a half a cow in the fall. I really enjoyed making beef stock from the soup bones. Now, we have bags of bones with no meat on them at all. Is there anything I can do with these for human consumption. I am sure the dog would love them- but I'm not sure she will live long enough to eat all these bones!! Could I save them and add them to the soup bones for broth when we get another cow in the fall?
I was a vegetarian for 30 years- so I am starting at the beginning! Thanks for your help!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Absolutely! I learned about bone broth here and they aren't exaggerating one bit, it's awesome! I like to use my big slow cooker for this because of the walk away factor and I can plug it in outside. I have it full of pork neck bones now. This batch is designated to be dog chow, so I'll let it cook on low for 48 hours and all the bones will mush up easily.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I make beef broth I use half meaty bones and half marrow bones (no meat on them.) I roast all in a roasting pan in a hot oven until browned, transfer to a stock pot, deglaze the roaster and add the drippings, and simmer for 24-48 hours, strain, and can, freeze, or season and use. Yummy!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
After you have boiled the last bit of goodness out of them you can bake them good and dry in the oven (or the sun) and then break them up with a hammer and bury them around in the garden. The plants will benefit from the decaying bones calcium. :cool:

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!! I knew there had to be something to do with them!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I would roast and boil with some raw apple cider vinegar in the water. You will still get benefit of the minerals and the marrow.
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/making-beef-stock/detail.aspx
Much better if you break or crack the big bones before boiling, that will make the marrow available for extra flavor. You might want to sniff the water after a couple hours the vinegar will distill off with the water.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
When I make beef broth I use half meaty bones and half marrow bones (no meat on them.) I roast all in a roasting pan in a hot oven until browned, transfer to a stock pot, deglaze the roaster and add the drippings, and simmer for 24-48 hours, strain, and can, freeze, or season and use. Yummy!
Do this, but add a miripoix and a few tablespoons of tomato paste when roasting and then deglaze for a richer dark stock. You can still give the bones to the dogs when your done.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have a po of bones cooking on the stove right now. I put some of the marrow bones in water with vinegar and put the rest of them in the oven till nice and brown. Then added them to the pot with the soaked marrow bones, deglazed the baking pan and added that to the pot and then added a mess of assorted herbs and vegies. I try to cook it for at least two days.

I strain the broth and give all the solids, except the cooked bones to our dog.

Last time I did this the bones were so brittle, I was able to just smash them with a stone and gave them to the chickens as a supplement.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great thread. Just what I needed. I just picked up two big packs of marrow bones. One thing though, should I save them until I have some beef bones to go with?

Or can I just rosy and boil these alone??

G