What to Do With Fabric

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read with interest the uses for old socks...it takes more time to darn than to wear new holes. Udder wipes make sense, but I only need so many dust rags. Are there more uses for a sockpile stockpile? Hate to just throw them out.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow.. This is a great read!

Now, I have more uses for old clothes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had a couple of pair of really nice thick winter socks that had worn holes on the soles, but the tops were still like brand new. Couldn't bear to throw them out so...I went ahead and darned them. Very relaxing to sit and darn socks while you visit with folks or listen to a book or sermon. Maybe just take the time to go ahead and darn the socks? It's very cathartic and kind of tickles me to turn back the hands of time when people were not a throw away society and everything was used up completely before being discarded. Sort of like the suggestions on this thread...my granny used to use worn out old long underwear and undershirts for quilt batting.

I didn't have a darning egg so used an old orange..smelled great but stretched out the sock a temporarily. I had never darned socks before but it turned out great and the holes and thin spots were completely covered and reinforced. The cotton yarn I chose blended well with the texture of the sock and didn't leave a bumpy feeling.

900x900px-LL-0dd04192_100_1469.jpeg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know how to darn socks, but I have 2 darning eggs I got when I was a kid from the neighbor.

When I was a kid, I had a pair of toe socks that I loved. And, I wore out the bottoms. So, since I didn't know how to darn, I patched em and continued to wear them for quite some time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The lady who wrote that article is right...it's addictive. It doesn't take much skill or concentration and it makes something usable once again. It also makes one feel like they are being more proactive about waste, getting in touch with their roots, and being the ultimate in frugal. All of those things are such that bring me much pleasure...I can't wait to get another hole in some socks now! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It looks easy enough. I just might have to try it.