What to do with Frozen Tomatoes

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last year my tomato harvest was sad; I never had enough at one time to can, so I froze them, whole, smushed together to squeeze out the air bubbles in the freezer bags. Well, I never used a single one of them, I admit.:hide I didn't have a tomato press or food mill to make sauce, and I kept forgetting to pop some into the stews and soups I made.
I am getting a food mill in a few days, for this year's anticipated harvest (?) I was wondering if I could thaw last year's tomatoes and use them for sauce, along with the fresh tomatoes? Has anyone done this successfully?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never heard of freezing tomatoes, in fact I have been told many times not to even put them in the refrig. I suspect it has something to do with texture so maybe juice/sauce is ok but I would taste them first to be sure the cold doesn't change the flavor.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I freeze mine for sauce all the time, after they've been through my mill. My reason is purely selfish - no A/C and no outdoor stove means I wait until temps are cooler to can, if at all possible. No change in taste or texture. However, I have never put them in the freezer whole, and I've never left them for a year, so I'm zero help with with your exact question :p If it were me, I would thaw them, run them through the mill, then try some of the resulting sauce (maybe have spaghetti ?) :hu I hope Moolie happens across your question, because if anyone would know, it'd be her ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I was wondering if I could thaw last year's tomatoes and use them for sauce, along with the fresh tomatoes? Has anyone done this successfully?
sure ---if you cut them with new fresh you can easily use those up fast.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking that if I cut them with fresh tomatoes, any freezer taste would be mostly undetectable. ~gd, I have been told to not refrigerate tomatoes, also. It does change the taste and texture. Thanks for your responses, y'all.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes any time you have a mater based situation, just add a few to use them up. I wouldn't waste those at all. 'any' change would be fine if the dilution is close to zero in the end with other fresh ingredients

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have always frozen out tomatoes. It makes it easier to keep until we have enough to make something. Once you add spices and stuff you really cant taste a difference. If you thaw them in some warm water, just a few min, the skins should just wipe off. Ive made pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and hubby loves his hot sauce.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't refrigerate tomatoes that I plan to use fresh - in a salad or sandwich, for instance; the flavor and texture are affected negatively. Freezing already cooked tomatoes is no problem - think spaghetti sauce and the like. I also will freeze the rest of a can of tomatoes (home canned or commercial) if I used only a part of it, and will add those to the next sauce, soup that needs tomatoes. I have read about freezing whole fresh tomatoes for future use; an advantage appears to be that, once thawed, the skins slip right off. I haven't tried that though, and would only use them in something cooked.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have frozen many tomatoes and then used/canned them later. Frozen whole tomatoes make great "fresh" salsa in a pinch, and make fine sauce and such canned. Even after a year, mine have been good. I don't mix them with real fresh tomatoes, and mine haven't lost a lot of flavor. I still have a few frozen whole from last year too.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I had about a half bushel of tomatoes but was headed out of town with not time to do anything with them. So instead of letting them sit and rot they got tossed into a plastic grocery bag and dropped into the chest freezer. They ended up staying like that for close to year. Believe it or not there was only a very slight freezer burn taste which by the time spices were added a a sauce cooked up no one could tell a difference. So I would definately say you are good to go.
I am glad to say though I am keeping up with them better now. Just pull the last of 11 quarts of juice and 21 half pints of paste out of the canner. It's been a long day.