What to do with grease off meat?

Arkantex

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oops... I double posted the same post

grandma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another use for the fat (if you don't use it as others have suggested) is to give some to your chickens. They appreciate a little extra in the winter especially.

marlo1968

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Candles with the extra grease is a great idea, think I'll try it too!!

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just strainer my bacon grease and put it in a tupperware and use it for green beans and fried potaotes. My burger grease I strainer from pan and freeze- to preserve it- and when I get enough I thaw it and take a pan if water and put the chunck of grease in and boil for a bit. Once its good and boiling just turn it off. Then cool, either on stove or in fridge.then take the grease cirlce out and pour water out. And I do it about 4 times just so its good and pure. All the contaminates fall into the water so its clean grease. Ad don't worry about the color, I season fairly heavy and so mine usually has an orange color from red pepper or chilli pepper. Then once it solidifies put into an old shortening container and back to freezer. Now you have shortening.it is not shelf safe like store bought so it has to be frozen if you don use much, or refriderated if you plan on using it all very soon.I use mine in biscuits and homemade pie crusts and the flavor is so awesome! And no you can't taste all the seasoning I used. That was a worry of mine the first time I used it. My sausage grease always gets used for gravy before it can be saved. And any other little bit goes to the dog or rooster.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you can also make a homemade suet (sp?) for outdoor birds that uses grease, seeds, peanut butter, and some other things. You can probably find a recippe online. Ours works pretty well, but tends to start melting in direct sunlight... and we were in Washington State at the time! Those of you down south may not last long using our recipe lol!