What to do with old books?

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This has been bothering me for a while. I usually trade old books in at used book stores or try to sell them on amazon. However, sometimes there are just some books that truly no longer seem to have any use. Mainly textbooks, of which I have quite a few. I usually try to buy an older edition to save money, but when I'm done with it I often can't seem to find anyone who takes it for trade or wants to buy it (for more than a dollar or so). I know I could try to give them away for free. But does anyone know of any other ways to reuse old books? The only thing I've been doing is that I use some heavier books sort of as blocks to support some stuff. And I have been using a smaller flat book with a nice smooth cover in place of a mouse pad. Anything I could do with the pages? I know much isn't possible due to the ink, but I figure if there are any options, this is the place to get ideas.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Goodwilll then you get a tax write off for charitable donation...... :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wallpaper the bathroom...that way ya always have reading materials in there. :lol: Other than that I can't think of a thing...doesn't seem right to burn them. Could you cut the center of most of the pages out and make compartments in them to hide your money or jewelry....kinda weird, but I think it'd be neat too. Ok, I'm out of ideas.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have heard that large prisons may appreciate old textbooks for inmates who are actually trying to better themselves?

I've seen them used a lot more in crafts, though. If the covers are a nice material, you can paint them, glue the edges of the pages, open to the center, curl a page or two, guild the edges, and paste in a nice picture, favorite saying, etc. As though it was in the book, and use the whole thing as a kind of open book frame display for what you want to feature?

Or glue them together (or use hardware) in a stack to be used as a support for a tray, or to make a little table, etc?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OMG, I have a gazillion books, so I know how you and dac feel. I can't bear to get rid of them so I make them serve double duty by using them as side tables (especially the coffee table sized books) and such. I stack them sideways on shelves and put a few treasured nick nacks or photo frames on top of them too.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually kind of fun ideas so far. I just googled and found a few more here if anyone is interested (had to copy the list since it didn't let me include the URL):

A book wall lamp (actually pretty cool for a study room, library or just a geek like me).
Join BookCrossing.
Gesso over the pages to create a journal or sketch book.
Remove pages and turn them into envelopes.
Frame individual pages or collages for inexpensive artwork.
Use as wallpaper (think bathroom wall, plenty of reading for guests!).
Decoupage a table top.
Stack several together (with cement glue in between) and clear coat to make an attractive centerpiece or a decorative column. Repaint spines and top if desired to resemble classics.
Wad up unusable pages for packing cushion.
Use for wrapping small gifts.

Mostly some craft projects. Some sound kind of fun. But maybe we can collect more ideas here.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Create your own movie scenes from Fahrenheit 451 ?