What to do with old books?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I keep all my favorite books and I add to them now and again. They take up space, for sure, but they eat no bread and they are like old friends that I visit after a long time apart. It comforts me to know they are there and I can revisit the stories.

As for useless old books...they are stove fodder. They burn a long time.

They say that all school kids will be using Kindles or an equivalent, soon, so old textbooks may become a thing of the past.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When we had a woodstove... sigh... we used to haunt the local auctions and bring home BOXES of trash books and broken furniture as fire fodder.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been holding on to all my paperbacks forever. Now I am thinking they could be good insulation for a future chicken coop.

Hummmm!!! But would it cost me more to move them from Ca. to Mo. than it would to buy insulation????

g

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can use them to make walkways between raised beds. When they start to break down and get a little mushy, add more books. I did it with Dallas newspapers one year. My step-son delivered them for the local distributor and told me their loading dock was full. I hauled off all their stacked up leftovers that didn't sell.