What to do with styro blocks?

hinkjc

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love the craft ideas. I will have to think about that and come up with some cool things to work on. I don't know about use around birds..they do tend to eat them, which I'm sure wouldn't be good long term.

The styro chairs is a neat idea too! Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

Does anyone do their own flower arranging? I wonder if they would work well for that too? hmmmm, more crafty stuff to consider.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
freemotion said:
Insulation. I will be making insulated waterers soon, hopefully this weekend. I have a horse-sized one that works GREAT but it too high/deep for my goaties and fowl.
What a great idea! Do you do anything particular or do you just put them around the waterers?

OOO, your idea is great too. I just don't happen to have kids to foist that one off on! :D
I suspend a smaller bucket inside a larger bucket with a piece of plywood cut to look like a donut to hold the smaller bucket up inside the larger one. Then fill the space with foam chunks and peanuts and some "Great Stuff" or similar product if you wish. You can screw or bolt it together, or if you use Great Stuff, that will glue everything together pretty permanently. My horse-sized one is made with a five gallon pail inside a muck bucket, and that sucker rarely freezes more than a quarter inch of ice in the coldest weather. I bleach it out and use is as a big cooler at our yard parties, and the ice lasts all day in 95F heat. I have two frozen turkeys thawing in it now. I have a collection of foam chunks, blocks, and peanuts to make my smaller waterers this weekend.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It won't use a lot of styrofoam, but every little bit helps, right? 1 chunk of styrofoam, and a couple of wooden skewers, and you can hold things up that need painting or varnishing.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
If you crumbled it up, would it be useful to loosen clay soil? Actually am asking !

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
If you crumbled it up, would it be useful to loosen clay soil? Actually am asking !
You need alot of manure and organic stuff to loosen clay soil...it takes a couple of years but it can be done. Just throw all your leaves, chicken poop, and shavings, and whatever else you can find over it and dig it in real good.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it would head under "pollution" of the soil vs. improving it actually.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is pretty funny but this post reminded me of the year my daughter (37 now) wanted a Barbie house for Christmas. A cardboard box and an entire set of furniture made of strofoam blocks,cut painted covered in fabric. She still says it was the best present. Just throwing it out there.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We also used a bunch of it to make mountains and hills for DHs train set. We made extras for the kids to play with in their little "towns".

I also keep some around for making flower displays. The green florist stuff is clearly better! But, styro will work if you poke the holes with a skewer first.

I have to do any of this when DH is not around - ha cannot stand the sound! :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We used loads of styrofoam for a floating dock in our pond. We made a 2x4 frame with a plywood deck. Packed the styrofoam blocks in, turned over and launched. They stayed exactly where we put them until the wood rotted 8 years later.
We tied it off at the permanent dock when not in use and cast off to float around the pond.
Will make another this spring with the same styrofoam. That stuff can be reused indefinitely.