What to do with Whey

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Question for all of you. Is there anything I can make out of my whey? I have been getting free cows milk and making cheese with it. I am wondering if there is something good I can make with all the Whey. Seems like such a waste to just toss it. Also, is it something I can can for later use? Thanks for any of you suggestions.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make milk wine! Just put lactaid in the whey about 2 tablets per gallon and add in sugar water and yeast then ferment.

Crush the tablets and use champagne or sweat mead yeast.

If you use brown sugar it will taste like a semi-sweet dessert wine.

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow I love the wine idea, I have been feeding it to the animals but I really wanted to find a better use for it. Do you have a recipe? I have never made wine before.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you can play with this all you want.

basically you strain out all solids,
place in fermenter with lactaid tablets crushed about 2 per gallon.
boil same amount of water as whey in a pot mix in 2pounds of sugar (any kind) or honey per gallon (if using honey boil 30mins and skim foam)
let boiled sweet water cool to room temp
pour into fermenter through a colander (will add oxygen to liquid)
then pitch in yeast ec-1118 is my favorite and its only $.99-1.50 a packet!

you Need to know how to sanitize and prep yeast. if not look in the homebrewing and wine threads here or pick up a book or two. Alaskan bootlegger's bible is a good one.

i don't know what you know so i don't like to assume.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I make cream cheese out of yogurt, and save the whey to use as an add in my smoothies.

We make green smoothies - very simple:

In a blender (a GOOD blender helps, we have a Blendtec and LOVE it) put:
2 bananas
handful of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black berries, mango, apple, pineapple (core and all!), etc, etc, etc.......)
Handful of greens (kale, spinach, chard, romaine hearts, parsley, carrot tops, etc, etc, etc)
Add in any supplements that you'd like - as in whey or any other things (we often add a sea plant vitamin C booster, Ning Xia Red juice, or other 'good for you' type things)
Fruit juice or honey to sweeten (if needed)
enough water to liquify everything

Whey is also used to soak various grains, flours and beans to improve their digestibility. Of course, that isn't going to use much whey, but it is something. Check out Nourishing Traditions cookbook for more information on that.