What to put on nose raw from blowing?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After two or three days of almost non-stop nose-blowing, my nose has gone from bright red to flaking to cracking and swollen. There aren't quite open sores, but its a near thing. I had been putting calendula cream on it, but am worried that it's too close to an open wound for that to be a good idea anymore.

I bought some anhydrous lanolin and have been using that instead. Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was going to suggest lanolin, but looks like you've got that covered. My kids get very dry, sometimes cracking skin in the winter/early spring and nothing seems to be as effective as rubbing lanolin on and letting them sleep overnight - the skin always starts to heal quickly, by morning it's already looking better. A few nights of that and they're healed up nicely.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh excellent! So glad to hear I'm on the right track. I was trying to figure out how I might mix some lavender essential oil in with the lanolin, but am not sure if that would work. I've never worked with lanolin before. Liking it so far though!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, so the nose isn't heading for raw anymore. There are fluid-filled blisters along the inside edge of my nostrils. Apparently inside the nostrils too, by the feel of things. Aargh! What can be done with these guys??

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ouch!!!

I use shea butter on raw skin. Seems to work for me. Jojoba oil is also a good one. It can be hard to find pure stuff without additives and fragrances though.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cannot use commercial lotions - but, I can use Burt's Bees Hand Salve.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hate to be so commercial, but Puff's Plus tissues are worth their weight in gold and are very effective even after you have already rubbed your nose raw and bleeding.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It kinda sounds like you're getting some fever blisters in there! Look for some L-lysine at the pharmacy and take two with each meal and if you can find it, they have a chap stick (not the brand) that has l-lysine in it and while it is expensive the l-lysine really does help it heal.
Also if it does look like it is getting a bit infected... Adding a bit of triple antibiotic to the lanolin will help.
I like Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment.. I got some on my poor face right now-we had a nice warm sunny day and hubs and I spent it out walking and working in the garden...
Can anyone say Sunburn? lol

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
odly enough i like to use a thin layer of bag balm!