What to put on nose raw from blowing?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I know some people regard this as gross, but I use an old fashioned (well, not so old, b/c I made it myself out of old flannel sheets) handkerchief. Surprisingly, my nosedoes not get raw, but if it does get sensitive, I put some of my own homemade moisturizing lotion on it when blowing/wiping.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chap stick! It fits right inside your nostrils and you kind of twirl it around and it coats the inside of your nose really well. Sounds gross, but it is very effective. Also great when the air is dry and every breath feels like you're breathing sandpaper.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
raro said:
Chap stick! It fits right inside your nostrils and you kind of twirl it around and it coats the inside of your nose really well. Sounds gross, but it is very effective. Also great when the air is dry and every breath feels like you're breathing sandpaper.
Just make sure to label the stick "nose" so you remember not to use it on your lips! :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
raro said:
I use chap stick on my face and around my nose too. I use a tool to scrape off a layer and spread with my finger instead of the chapstick tube.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
calendula said:
I wonder if he was adopted sometimes.
I really don't want to be a jerk, and I get the joke, but as an auntie of adopted children I have been shown clearly how hurtful this kind of statement can be.

As for the nose issue, how about balm? I make one with almond oil, castor oil, olive oil and beeswax. It's nice for most skin issues.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have to admit I went totally commercial on this one after trying all sorts of home remedies for a week. Homemade balm with organic oils, healing soothing herbs and essential oils didn't do the trick. Lanolin didn't do it, although it was a step in the right direction.

Finally ended up putting good old Mentholatum on there, in absolute desperation. It seems to be finally turning the tide on this nasty bugaboo.

At the same time, I also gave up on the herbs and just took the dang antibiotics for the bronchitis that caused the gooky nose in the first place. I'd tried everything else herbal for nearly three weeks and it wasn't improving, was in fact showing signs of moving into other systems, and I decided enough is enough. I hate feeling like I've given up on herbs, since I believe so strongly in them, but at the same time, I was beginning to get the picture. My stubborn clinging to a belief was wrecking my health and possibly risking others. It was time to let go.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when in the winter i just put lip balm on my nose because i know i'm gonna be blowin my nose all the time. its better if you keep on it and dont let it get too raw because after it gets real raw and you go to put some lip balm on it, it BURNS!!! :somad