What tool(s) or machinery make you more self sufficient?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I use lots of zip ties too. :D

I couldn't live without my hammer especially, but I have to throw in the other basic tools too.

I'm trying to get things done without using gas or power, so my sheep are now the lawn mower, chickens are now my garden tillers (and weeders).

Horses have been pretty good at bush hogging; they have trampled down all the brush under the trees in the forest. They have made some really neat trails with built in jumps.

So that really just leaves me (y'all!) and my hammer and screw drivers...I've even stopped using my electric drill lately.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'll have to agree with those who said a tractor. Our ancient Ford 9n (1939 model) has enabled us to take gardening to a whole new level. Things that would take us hours to do by hand, can now be done in minutes. Also, brush hogging, grading the driveway, trenching, and just moving things around.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Pat, what a great thread.

And to everybody else, I'll take one of what y'all have posted! ;)

While I'm no bump on a log myself I really wish I was a lot more experienced with tools. I can fix things, but it usually takes a while and isn't always pretty. I was proud of myself for fixing the springs on my garage door today and the motor coupling on my washing machine a few weeks ago.

Back to the topic: I'd say these are the things I use the most and have helped me to be most self sufficient, especially compared to my neighbors:

Cordless Makita drill
table saw
miter saw
vise
hammer, screwdrivers, channel locks, pliers, drillpress, etc.

I've got a garage FULL of tools, parts, etc. from my dad, but the items above are the ones used most regularly.

ETA - Kinda a tool, but the Norelco hair trimmer we have had since Emily and I got married has allowed her to cut my hair about monthly for 9 years. 9 x 12 x $10/cut = $1,080

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My splurge on the custom European scythe, made just for a middle-aged scrawny lady like me. It is mid-November and I still have plenty of hay that I put up in a VERY BAD year for hay, and the farmer next door actually commented recently how nice my pasture is looking this year! Maybe next year will be a good one and I won't have to buy hay....wouldn't that be awesome.

Also my reproduction hay rake and a big tarp to drag it all in.

There is so much more, but this stuff saved me a ton on money already, and would keep my critters going in a really tough year.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My splurge on the custom European scythe, made just for a middle-aged scrawny lady like me. It is mid-November and I still have plenty of hay that I put up in a VERY BAD year for hay, and the farmer next door actually commented recently how nice my pasture is looking this year! Maybe next year will be a good one and I won't have to buy hay....wouldn't that be awesome.

Also my reproduction hay rake and a big tarp to drag it all in.

There is so much more, but this stuff saved me a ton on money already, and would keep my critters going in a really tough year.
That may be my next splurge!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
These people are so nice: www.scythesupply.com

My rake handle broke the first time I used it...gently and cautiously, I might add! It looked to me like an imperfection in the wood that didn't really show up on the surface. They sent me a new handle immediately. No hesitation. They don't make the rakes, but took care of the matter for me, at their expense.

They also took plenty of time to answer all of my questions. I even described my property so they could help me choose the best blade. I also got sharpening tools at the same time, a cover for the blade, and a holster for the stone that is used in the field. I run the wet stone over the blade at the end of every row or two, and sharpen with a hammer and jig every time I complete the field.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I dunno why this thread is back from the dead but I'm glad, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's replies :)

Free (or anyone else) do you have a good source you can recommend for instructions on learning to use a scythe? I bought two for $2 (total!! hee hee hee) at auction a couple weeks ago -- one modern aluminum one, one older but well cared for ash one, both needing only a little sharpening to be usable -- but quite honestly I have only the vaguest concept of how one is supposed to use 'em. Link, online mag article, book, anything?

Thanks,

Pat

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a serious problem about my cordless drill. :hide

My daughter and son have both "borrowed" drill. Within 24 hours of this HORRIBLE event I bought them each their own. (so they would never borrow it again)

My sister asked to borrow my drill. You guessed it ... she now has a new one. I would NOT loan mine to her and I did not buy hers - I simply convinced her she needed a new one of her very own.

I won't even keep it in the tool room. My drill lives in the kitchen! It is old and scruffy, but I still love my drill. :love

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Tools I couldn't/wouldn't do without?

My Kubota. I do just about everything with it. Mow, till the garden, vacuum up and mulch the leaves, push/pull cars for the shop, runs the chipper/shredder for the stuff to small for my chainsaw, front end loader for moving dirt and such, auger for fence posts, and a boom pole/hitch setup for the 3 point.
Husqvarna chain saw.
My muzzle loader.

With those tools I can survive just about anything.