What was the deciding factor(s) to become SS?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My deciding factors were: wanting to live in the country, not wanting to work for cash at a “job” all of the time. Simple upshot: need to economize, budget, and acquire knowledge and skills.

See, my mother had grown up in a small town, and was the daughter of cattle ranchers who had moved into a town and set up a leather-tanning enterprise. My dad was raised on his uncle’s poultry ranch (but he wanted to escape that and see the big city). True, we always had relatives in the small towns and countryside. As a kid I liked making and fixing things. I learned how engines worked, some basics of electricity, how to mark and cut boards, and bits of this and that.

But my dad had wanted to be rid of the messy facets of country life and be clean at both ends of the day—and prosperous, if possible. But money was usually pretty tight. For me, having jobs from a fairly young age was encouraged. In my late teens, I got to know some people who lived out in the countryside, were friendly, and had interesting minds. I became convinced theirs was the kind of environment I wanted to live in.

But before it was possible, I got drawn into the money-earning possibilities of the city. I swerved into a job in an organic-foods store, and was able to rent a tiny, cheap country cottage. Part of my job was to truck produce from the farms to the place I worked. My cottage was on a small farm, and I learned gardening from books, from the farmer's wife, and trial & error. The farmers had me milking the Jersey too.

Then I found a valley in the eastern mountains where people were friendly and land prices very affordable, and I sunk everything into a piece of land. Took on various jobs for various stretches. I learned more about gardens and started keeping chickens. I learned carpentry, water systems, how to wire buildings for electricity, and more mechanics (basics of cars, trucks, small engines). I was married by this time, and had a daughter. We sold the original land and moved down the valley to a spot with better soil, better neighbors, and a shorter commute to off-land employment. While here, my practical skills increased and I learned basic metal-working, including welding.

So you get my drift… my shift into SS was a result of the fact that I never liked the hubub of the city, nor the cramped limitations of the suburbs. The city and modern suburb offer education opportunities, concert halls and movie theaters, big bookstores and libraries, shopping opportunities (tools and supplies, clothes, reconditioned cars) — but they also present many distractions and irritations. And nature and the sources of human sustenance can seem very remote in those places.

SS knowledge and skills save you money. In a lot of ways, the cities are more expensive settings. To me, the alternative is learning to raise and preserve food, learning to use tools, shopping for secondhand when you can, and all the things that we talk about here on SufficientSelf.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know a darn thing about it. It's just a dream. To live back in the woods far from others in a cabin I built with an axe and saw and never come back.

For now I push it as far as the wife will let me. Which means we play homesteader and try to learn the old ways.....enough to keep me sane anyway.

I think the only real way to learn to swim is to jump in. One day.....

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm just trying to live like grandma did. Well my great aunt still does to a degree, but her back prevents her from doing a lot of it now. My way of living is mostly just what everyone on mom's side has done as far back as remembered. Great grandma and grandpa came over from Switzerland back in the 1910s and met here and married. Great aunt has visited over there frequently and some still live that way. Like lots of my generation and younger, a lot now live in town.

My brothers live in town and both feel there is just to much work in taking care of animals and acreage.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being a electronics engineering grad - I simply could not imagine life without electricity. Although must admit I don't like being dependant on the electric company much at all... It's not that our co-op isn't great it's that I just don't like being dependant on them.

I would eventually like to find property with a stream and build a wooden water wheel to power a generator capable to generate 200 amps 220 volts of single phase alternating current. Somewhere in my desk is a folder with some sketchings and math for the water wheel generator that I drew up many years ago. When my math skills were not so dull, as they are now.

Your gonna get 50 kva from a water wheel?

:ep:ep:ep:ep:ep

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know a darn thing about it. It's just a dream. To live back in the woods far from others in a cabin I built with an axe and saw and never come back.

For now I push it as far as the wife will let me. Which means we play homesteader and try to learn the old ways.....enough to keep me sane anyway.

I think the only real way to learn to swim is to jump in. One day.....

You so right... A wise man once told me. You want to learn to build a house? Then build a house. He also so said there is only one thing that will stop you dead in your tracks and that is fear! But I found that not to be completely true - a angry wife does the same for me.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe I had 30kW planned might have be 25kW though.

I'm also 1/4 Cherokee, my grandma wad full blooded Cherokee, my dad is 1/2 blooded so I believe that makes me 1/4 if I'm correct.

I ain't no engineer, just a former electrician turned hvac.
But I'm pretty sure it's gonna take 50 kva. Va=watts. 220v x 200amps is 44000. And really 220 is low voltage for a single phase system, it should be more like 240-250v. At least around here anyway.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler just do what you can from where you are now. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes in your life. For 30+ years we lived on a small city lot in the middle of town. I hated it, but gardened in beds in the front yard and built a chicken coop in the back yard. I did what I could from where I was. Now we are out in the country on 8 acres and I'm having the time of my life!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
just do what you can from where you are now

I agree with this! Grow where you are planted. Don't wait until you can "do it right" in some far planned future on some other piece of land. Start practicing homesteading skills now in whatever way you can so you'll be prepared to hit the ground running when you finally get to where you were planning on going. Don't wait until the hard times hit to live like it already has....when it actually does is no time to establish a learning curve.

I once did a butchering tutorial for a woman and her husband, city folks who had bought a farm, and encouraged them to watch, then do one for themselves as I watched and talked them through it. The husband did so, then left for work(he is a lawyer) and I asked the wife if she was going to do the next one. She said that her husband would be doing all the killing of animals on the farm, so she didn't feel like she needed to practice it.

I asked her, "If he dies tonight, will you keep this farm and go through with your plan to become more self sustaining?" She replied that she would. So I handed her the knife and told her she might as well learn how to do this now. And she did. Now she knows and it's not just from watching or reading about it, but that she has the fortitude to kill something, gut it out and piece it up for food.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm in North Carolina working on our rental house. I hired a local contractor to lay down new flooring in the kitchen and sunroom because I live in southern Illinois. Well he went crazy with the staple gun and drove at least two Staples through the floor joists into the electrical wires running through the floor joists. He did a nice job on the floor but who fastens subflooring down in 4 1/2" long staples? I think I have one more wire to replace in the morning and it should be good to go.