What was the deciding factor(s) to become SS?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having not much fun. Don't you hate it when some does a job and makes more work for you?
Like about like a hole in the head.
But I serviced the gas pack while I was at it also. It needed a new smart valve ignitior $105.00 and I found two runs of wire with nails that shorted out hot to ground. Coat less than $10.00 in parts but it was tracing and replacing the runs of bad wire was the most time consuming. Anyways their are now ready for the winter.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Being a electronics engineering grad - I simply could not imagine life without electricity. Although must admit I don't like being dependant on the electric company much at all... It's not that our co-op isn't great it's that I just don't like being dependant on them.

I would eventually like to find property with a stream and build a wooden water wheel to power a generator capable to generate 200 amps 220 volts of single phase alternating current. Somewhere in my desk is a folder with some sketchings and math for the water wheel generator that I drew up many years ago. When my math skills were not so dull, as they are now.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being a electronics engineering grad - I simply could not imagine life without electricity. Although must admit I don't like being dependant on the electric company much at all... It's not that our co-op isn't great it's that I just don't like being dependant on them.

I would eventually like to find property with a stream and build a wooden water wheel to power a generator capable to generate 200 amps 220 volts of single phase alternating current. Somewhere in my desk is a folder with some sketchings and math for the water wheel generator that I drew up many years ago. When my math skills were not so dull, as they are now.

Your gonna get 50 kva from a water wheel?

:ep:ep:ep:ep:ep

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe I had 30kW planned might have be 25kW though.

I'm also 1/4 Cherokee, my grandma wad full blooded Cherokee, my dad is 1/2 blooded so I believe that makes me 1/4 if I'm correct.

I ain't no engineer, just a former electrician turned hvac.
But I'm pretty sure it's gonna take 50 kva. Va=watts. 220v x 200amps is 44000. And really 220 is low voltage for a single phase system, it should be more like 240-250v. At least around here anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm in North Carolina working on our rental house. I hired a local contractor to lay down new flooring in the kitchen and sunroom because I live in southern Illinois. Well he went crazy with the staple gun and drove at least two Staples through the floor joists into the electrical wires running through the floor joists. He did a nice job on the floor but who fastens subflooring down in 4 1/2" long staples? I think I have one more wire to replace in the morning and it should be good to go.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having not much fun. Don't you hate it when some does a job and makes more work for you?