what would grandma have done with this beef broth...?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hi there I have been experimenting with bone broths, wanting to make really long simmering broth, as I understand that you can simmer as long as 72 hours

now usually I make my broth in crockpot and over night I just keep it on warm so that no bad guys have a chance to grow in there

but yesterday I made it in an enamaled cast iron pot, (exiceted to start by roasting the bones first in oven and then simmering the broth long term)

but last night I realized I didn't want to keep the stove top on all night, so I turned off my broth intending to turn it back on in 4 hours or so, not too worried about it going bad after only four hours of cooling

but of course I over slept and couldn't turn my broth on until 10 hours went by

hmmmmm

I turned it but wonder if I should pitch, I am not interested in modern standards I am interested in the old ways

would a broth have sat for 10 hours at comgy temps and then used?

or is that really tooo long

(I do ferments so I am not afraid generally of things sitting out a while)

thanks

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me and my grandma would still use it...we leave food sitting at room temps all the time and rewarm it, eat it, put it in the fridge later on and take it out and warm it up the next day for a meal as well. But then...we were never germophobic and have a realistic view on just how hardy the human body can be. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How warm do you keep your house at night? In a cool house (mine, for example) I have no worries about leaving things out overnight. But, as stated above, even in a warmer environment a good boil should take care of any uninvited guests.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MY grandma would keep PART of her Stock at the back of the woodburning stove. Usually for about a week in a kitchen that would get cold in the winter nights That was where leftovers were comverted to soup. Soup was always on her menu in the winter, and it was great to have when you had been out in the cold, Like most farm folks we butchered in the late fall The big parts would go to the smoke house to be cured. Beef would woulld be hungi in the icehouse to be dry aged. That left a lot of bones to be used for stock or broth Simmer, Scim, Can. Some of it was so rich that it would set up like Jello. It gave her soup a rich taste and mouth feel. I am not claim ing that it was safe but none of the family had problems from it. ~gd

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks much!!!

seee I thought grandma would keep it!

also thought a good hard boil would kill the bad guys if there were any,

feelin better about now!

thanks

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read that Indians often boil milk daily to keep it from souring. Eventually so much of the water evaporates that it becomes sweet and sticky. Granted, bone broth is a far cry from milk, but the method may work for both.

In our house, the night temp is 60 oF. And I would keep it covered for the last few minutes of boiling and leave the lid on until the next morning.

As usual, use your judgement.

Latest posts