What's everyone doing today?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honey bees leave me with nasty welts, but my worst are hornets/wasp species, they close the throat nicely lol. luckily the paper wasps tend to be relitivly mild compared to yellow jackets. isnt it od how differen species have such different venoms.

i do agre that the epi phenomenon is kinda annoying...
for those that need it by all means...
but ive got an aquaintence who walks around with an epi in her purse because shes "so allergic to bees" that when she gets stung she gets a red welt and a migrane...

i dont understand HOW she managed to get a script for an epi based on that kind of reaction...but she did.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got called out once to check on some 'funny looking bees.' They were hornets, but before I realized they weren't bees, I had already smoked them and really made them mad. Got stung about 25 times, mostly around the ankles.
By that night I was in real pain. Not tylenol pain....no, no, no....more like dope myself on some ancient Vicodin I hadn't finished using from a previous BooBoo, kinda pain.
I didn't really have too much swelling or itching....just horrible pain. I am not sure but I think the extremely large amount of bee stings I take every year has probably prepared me for other stings, even if its only somewhat. I would imagine that wasps and hornet stings could harm someone much more (for the most part) than bees....still, I would feel they are all related.
I would love about 3 good stings on my right ankle right now. Just a bit stiff.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'm allergic-and have the blood tests to prove it. I go to the allergist once a month for the shots. My worst allergy is to honey bees. Last time I got stung by one, I ended up at the ER. I had a reaction in spite of getting the shots.

My reaction was not as bad as it's been in the past. I was getting worse B4 I started to get the shots, and was to the point where my throat was starting to close up on me. Normally, I do carry an epipen. But when I was stung last, I was on my bike, and had forgotten to grab it B4 I left.
Well, at least you are attempting to fix it properly. I have had to give allergy injections to a few children and after 20 mins, I had to measure the spread of the welp I had made......it wasn't a quick fix. No sooner the welp would start to get smaller the Allergist would order me to increase the strength and I'd have a big welp again......but the parents wanted to strengthen their kids and make them as normal as possible. Like you said......they could be somewhere without what they need and be in big trouble, so best to toughen out and not lean on an epi-crutch all the time.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah i definatly think you probably buit up some immunity form the bees...
hornet stings are nasty, you were lucky to have the resistance in place!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce, I can identify with the intense pain you had with the hornet stings. How can such a little "wound" hurt so darn bad? (rhetorical question) I got stung on the finger once when I was in the woods in North Carolina. I only saw a blur of an insect; have no idea what it was. But man did that ever hurt! And for two days! I had to keep my hand in an ice bucket for two days. And then when it started itching, that was almost worse than the pain. I have been stung by wasps, honey bees, yellow jackets and bumble bees. Thank God I don't have an anaphalactic reaction to them. But if an epi pen were available when I got stung, I would have used it! I'll leave the bee hives to someone else, and gladly pay for my honey.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yellow jackets hurt the worst IMO. It takes forever for the stupid sting to quit hurting..hours later with te sharp pains ugh..I hope I never get stung again. It makes me sick as a dog anyway. I have mild reactions...can't even imagine anaphylactic shock. DD has Epi pens though just in case I needed one. Her food allergies warrants keeping those around. My allergies aren't as bad yet, but could develop into worse. Either way they suck :p I'm glad we have the Epi pens for just in case though I too believe they are about as over prescribed as antibiotics :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Denim Deb said:
I'm allergic-and have the blood tests to prove it. I go to the allergist once a month for the shots. My worst allergy is to honey bees. Last time I got stung by one, I ended up at the ER. I had a reaction in spite of getting the shots.

My reaction was not as bad as it's been in the past. I was getting worse B4 I started to get the shots, and was to the point where my throat was starting to close up on me. Normally, I do carry an epipen. But when I was stung last, I was on my bike, and had forgotten to grab it B4 I left.
Well, at least you are attempting to fix it properly. I have had to give allergy injections to a few children and after 20 mins, I had to measure the spread of the welp I had made......it wasn't a quick fix. No sooner the welp would start to get smaller the Allergist would order me to increase the strength and I'd have a big welp again......but the parents wanted to strengthen their kids and make them as normal as possible. Like you said......they could be somewhere without what they need and be in big trouble, so best to toughen out and not lean on an epi-crutch all the time.
I joke every time that I get one of those welts that my nick name is Lumpy! :lol: But, the last couple of times I got a shot, I didn't lump up, so they've been able to increase the amount they give me. I'd love to be able to stop going, but can't.

And, it's just the honey bees I still have a bad reaction to. I had stepped on a yellow jacket a few days B4 I got stung. And, other than pain, I had no reaction.

I got attacked by yellow jackets once. I don't even know how many times I got stung. And, we didn't wait to see if I was going to have a bad reaction or not. It was a matter of rushing to the ER as a precaution and letting them deal w/it.

Anyway, today, I'm going to the farm, I'll feed the horses, ride Misty for a bit, maybe clean up in my tack shed, then head to the allergist and chiropractor's.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Supposed to be nice this week so I am going to start cleaning up around the house and yard.Planning what to move and what to plant.

Hornets got me one year when they set up home in my kids playhouse. I had opened the door and pushed the lawnmower in to cut the grass.You can imagine what followed.

It was an awesome house they built. I got a few good pictures of it before I destroyed it.

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What am I doing today? Supposed to go get my chicks. My bf and I decided to go to the local feed store to get them, though he's at work now so I have to pick them out myself and I'm a little anxious about that. After that it's just a matter of prying myself away from my new babies long enough to get a few chores done. Then dinner with my bf. So excited for my new chicks!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
todays plan involves cleaning the bunny hutches, getting some tater slips into feed sacks, and some painting :D