What's everyone doing today?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Back out working on the hoopty coopty, mounting a door, maybe get to placing the plastic cap.

Also dumped the dog's house and stored it...from now on he isn't allowed to have a nice, cozy hole to retreat to...he will be living with the chickens full time in a couple of weeks, so I'm getting him used to it now.

Saw a grey fox come down the hill right behind his dog house yesterday, broad daylight...while the dog snoozed away in his sweet digs. :rolleyes: No house, no snooze, no missing the opportunity to kill a pred.

Might get him a GP/Anatolian partner, God willing, to share the job..hard for one dog to stay awake all the time, ya know? :p

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far... breakfast, shovelling some recent (and heavy) snow. Plan to check out a potential malfunction of our water heater.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I got to go on a snake hunt for my neighbor. By the time we got there it was gone though :( She took a pic, looked like a copperhead. She has wasps swarming EVERYWHERE over there :hide They didn't bother me though..love me some black t shirt and coconut deodorant :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need a break. I've been on my off time for 4 hours now and will remain off for a week. Well 2 of my hives swarmed. DH and I worked on catching one of them. He climbed the tree. I attempted to put them in a box when the branch came down. At first I think I was doing fine. Even think I had the queen for a while. But they started balling up again on the trunk. DH gave me a box to sweep them into and unfortunately I had put on his garden gloves because my latex were ripped. Well I got stung at least 7 times on the right hand and 6 times on the left and once on the right knee and once on my back. First time attacked this season. I'd have probably been fine if it wasn't for the gloves. Hurt at first, but I'm fine now and hoping the stings will make me feel GREAT by tomorrow. Glad for the sting on the right knee cuz my bad foot is attached to that leg.
Well, I'm leaving them alone. The hive body is there if they want it. I'm letting them move in if they interested. Its not like I don't get enough honey already. Just wanted all my equipment to be in use.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
4809_img_20120623_175342.jpg

Huntin Ground Rats, theys eatin my squarshes!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not a lot. We were in a parade with our cub scouts this morning. It was fun. I was the driver pulling the decorated trailer with the scouts riding and throwing out bubble gum. Then this afternoon has been lazy.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picnic with friends ans family @ our house. Yard games...Kubb (a Viking lawn game) was a hit! Great day!

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I need a break. I've been on my off time for 4 hours now and will remain off for a week. Well 2 of my hives swarmed. DH and I worked on catching one of them. He climbed the tree. I attempted to put them in a box when the branch came down. At first I think I was doing fine. Even think I had the queen for a while. But they started balling up again on the trunk. DH gave me a box to sweep them into and unfortunately I had put on his garden gloves because my latex were ripped. Well I got stung at least 7 times on the right hand and 6 times on the left and once on the right knee and once on my back. First time attacked this season. I'd have probably been fine if it wasn't for the gloves. Hurt at first, but I'm fine now and hoping the stings will make me feel GREAT by tomorrow. Glad for the sting on the right knee cuz my bad foot is attached to that leg.
Well, I'm leaving them alone. The hive body is there if they want it. I'm letting them move in if they interested. Its not like I don't get enough honey already. Just wanted all my equipment to be in use.
wow... i would be scared to death.... any tips on starting a hive>???? im scared of bees but want some honey. LOl.