What's happening to me?!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, now that I have your attention, maybe y'all can help me out w/ this.

Since I joined here, I stopped drinking 1% milk, and using half and half. Instead, I use whole milk. Now raw, can't get it here. I've also started to eat more fat. I've always loved meat fat, but tried not to eat it since it wasn't supposed to be good for me.

Now, I'm craving milk and fat! Normally, I don't drink much milk when it's cold out. But now, unless I'm not feeling well, I want milk! And, it's not unusual for me to drink 2 big glasses a day. I eat fat w/out feeling guilty. Today I made vegetable beef soup, and didn't skim the fat from it. I started it yesterday, got a couple of meaty bones and cooked them up. I ate the marrow, which I haven't done in years. When I cut up the beef today, I ate all the fat that I didn't put in the pot.

I also started taking 4000 IU of vitamin D 3 a day. I'm feeling better, but I'm also putting on weight. How concerned should I be? Can I drink too much milk? Are these cravings normal?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Go with the feeling better, not the scale!!

:)

Your body is probably trying desperately to build up some calcium. Let it.

Seriously, I would not worry unless you were feeling WORSE the way you are eating now. Your body is telling you what it needs.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, now that I have your attention, maybe y'all can help me out w/ this.

Since I joined here, I stopped drinking 1% milk, and using half and half. Instead, I use whole milk. Now raw, can't get it here. I've also started to eat more fat. I've always loved meat fat, but tried not to eat it since it wasn't supposed to be good for me.

Now, I'm craving milk and fat! Normally, I don't drink much milk when it's cold out. But now, unless I'm not feeling well, I want milk! And, it's not unusual for me to drink 2 big glasses a day. I eat fat w/out feeling guilty. Today I made vegetable beef soup, and didn't skim the fat from it. I started it yesterday, got a couple of meaty bones and cooked them up. I ate the marrow, which I haven't done in years. When I cut up the beef today, I ate all the fat that I didn't put in the pot.

I also started taking 4000 IU of vitamin D 3 a day. I'm feeling better, but I'm also putting on weight. How concerned should I be? Can I drink too much milk? Are these cravings normal?
Several things are happening here.

If you are still eating and refined flours, then that is the give in source of the weight gain.
Are you able to at least get non homogenized milk?
Cause processed fats will make you gain weight too.

Also, the calcium in pasturized milk will not go to your bones, so make try to find low temp if possible.

Your body is desperately trying to play catchup to all the years it was deprived of all the real stuff, so you are going to crave it for awhile :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The only milk that I know of that I can get here is pasturized, homogenized milk.

I don't normally eat a lot of bread, cookies, etc, since I don't like to eat processed foods. Tonight, I did make a loaf of white bread in my bread machine, haven't done that in years. But, I'm wanting to start getting wheat berries, and grinding my own-as soon as I have the time, and can find a good recipe.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Protein, fat, sugar/starch

You diet can be high in one... not all three. Reduce the sugar/starch/grains to maintain your weight.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Breads, pasta, rice, potatoes...all can contribute to weight gain. Also fruits. Fructose is really hard on the body. Vegetable oils are also weight gain inducers.

As an experiment, enter everything you eat in to www.fitday.com. It's free. It will allow you to track where your food intake is coming from.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Don't forget that not all weight gain is BAD. If you were underweight, you should gain weight. If you are overweight and actually concerned about the weight itself, look at what sugars and grains you are eating.

If you are just worried about food cravings, eat whatever your body realizes you are lacking.

:idunno I wouldn't worry about weight gain if you really are feeling better.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
And, I say this carefully cause I have no clue as to age here, but a little extra fat added in midlife is needed, because that is where estrogen is stored.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'll be 50 next month.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If you look at traditional cultures in the past, the "older" women have a bit of extra padding around the middle. Its a natural thing to occur, and while it should be watched so as to not of overboard, its good for you endocrine health in the long run to have a bit extra.
Today's "rules" are not at all correct.

Skin will also be less thin, wrinkly and more supple as well, if you do not stress about those extra 10 or so pounds.

So ditch the refined foods, learn to make sourdough, and live!