What's in your organic grain?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes but it is very difficult to do. A lot of people try to do the best they can, but it's very confusing at times. There are also a lot of limitations as to what is available in a given area. I think people should make an effort and I believe in personal responsibility, but when something us labeled organic and has been recommended as a healthy food, I do think that's sometimes beyond the average consumer. Other than the very educated consumer who has the resources and time to learn more about the issue. I spend a LOT of time researching all the sneaky ways things are labeled and still realize at times I'm buying something I shouldn't be.

Most people don't understand, for instance, that "free range" doesn't mean really free range! Now part of that is something they should understand, but I DO blame big ag in a large part for that.

I'm all about education but really, if something is labeled organic, it darn well should be organic.

I know the best solution is to eat all local organic foods but really, how many places in this country can support that? Not many...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many people are willing to give up "fresh" produce from who knows where, that is clearly out of season locally or regionally? People are so detached from their food supply that many don't even know there are food seasons.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes but it is very difficult to do. A lot of people try to do the best they can, but it's very confusing at times. There are also a lot of limitations as to what is available in a given area. I think people should make an effort and I believe in personal responsibility, but when something us labeled organic and has been recommended as a healthy food, I do think that's sometimes beyond the average consumer. Other than the very educated consumer who has the resources and time to learn more about the issue. I spend a LOT of time researching all the sneaky ways things are labeled and still realize at times I'm buying something I shouldn't be.

Most people don't understand, for instance, that "free range" doesn't mean really free range! Now part of that is something they should understand, but I DO blame big ag in a large part for that.

I'm all about education but really, if something is labeled organic, it darn well should be organic.

I know the best solution is to eat all local organic foods but really, how many places in this country can support that? Not many...

No it's not. Something may be labeled as organic, but many labels on many products today are false! You have to do your own due diligence. We are not the average consumer...and, I am talking about us. If you think just because something is labeled organic it should be organic, then with all dues respect, you are being naïve. Businesses lie; they do not have our best interest at heart. In some way I agree...if it says organic it should be....but it is NOT in some cases, and we had better get used to that. Big money outweighs honesty every time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No it's not. Something may be labeled as organic, but many labels on many products today are false!
That's right and that's why, for the general - non investigative consumer - it IS hard. People SHOULD be able to believe the label.

If you think just because something is labeled organic it should be organic, then with all dues respect, you are being naïve.

When NH started this thread it was all about how you CAN'T believe the label - that is the point of her thread.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am not talking about those of us who spend copious amounts of time researching these things. I'm saying your comment that big ag isn't at fault and it's people's own fault is not fair to the many people in this country who have no easy access to this information and no access to fresh foods. Big ag and the "powers that be" have muddied the waters so that it is increasingly difficult for people, the average consumer, to access information about their food. I think people need help to be more educated about their food, but I don't feel that pointing a finger at them is helpful.

And if it is labeled organic it SHOULD be organic. That's not naive. That's expecting the truth. I'm not saying it necessarily IS but that it should be. Like FEM said, I shared this to aid in spreading knowledge in what little way I can to people who may not be aware of this.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I missed the word "average" in front of consumer. I was thinking of people who are more involved with this whole process like us. However, I still think it is not hard; most people don't bother for whatever reason.

NH...I never said Big Ag is not at fault and it's people own fault. Really, BOTH are at fault. I am advocating that people need to take responsibility because the world is full of half truths and lies. If folks paid as much attention to their food and nutrition and what they put in their body as much as they did their iphones, clothes, cars, self indulgences, etc., it really wouldn't be that hard. It really isn't that important to them. It's all a matter of what you choose to focus on in life.

You're right; if something says Organic, it should be organic, but that isn't always the case. Big Ag lies and most folks choose to believe them.

Last edited: