What's the price of turkeys in your area?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Meijer has them .29/lb fresh or frozen with $20 purchase. I'm not sure how many I'm getting as the freezers pretty full and canning time is limited right now.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
How many turkeys do people usually buy now when the cost is super cheap?
freeze for later use?
I usually get one extra. If I had a smoker and room in the freezer, I would probably get two.

But around Jan or Feb, it's nice to cook another one. You can get a lot of meals from a turkey.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, so it's not our Thanksgiving...

A butterball frozen turkey here is about $4.39/pound now... fresh is more like $6.49/pound

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food is generally more expensive here in Canada than in the US--sometimes double and more, and even more expensive in the UK and western Europe. So our prices will look crazy compared to what people typically pay in the US.

When I was in Poland in 2006 certain things (traditional or "peasant" food like sausage, cabbage, potatoes, soups, pizza etc.) were a great deal, but a "meat and potatoes" or restaurant meals were expensive in the local currency by comparison, although still cheap for us because of the exchange rate. That said, everywhere we've been in Europe/UK commonly had lot more organic choices compared to North America.

hwillm1977 said:
I'm in Canada, so it's not our Thanksgiving...

A butterball frozen turkey here is about $4.39/pound now... fresh is more like $6.49/pound
Back at Canuck Thanksgiving (2nd Monday of October) the lowest price I saw advertised was 99c/lb at Safeway the week right before Thanksgiving, and they got totally cleaned out at that price. We bought a fresh free-range organic turkey from the Farmer's Market, and I waited till the last minute to pick one up because they went on sale on the Friday--ours was about a 22 lb turkey and I paid around $50 for it.

(No idea what the regular price is, we get all our meat from the Farmer's Market and I don't buy based on price per pound, but rather price per meal. A pound of hamburger tends to go further than a pound of chicken, so we just buy what works with our budget and try for varied meals throughout the month based on that. Sorry, bit of a hi-jack there.)

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I have been keeping my eye out for the best price for turkey since I will be doing the cooking, and I have not found any on sale yet:hit so I guess I will find out tomorrow when I go shopping. From what I am seeing from other post I am hoping I can get a good bargin as well.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mine cost the time for my BF to "process" them. Two turkeys ... largest one 27 lbs, smallest one 25 lbs ... and we're having nobody over for Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking we're gong to have a LOT of turkey to freeze after cooking one and freezing the other!

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the regular price is, but with a $150 purchase, I got a 21+ pound one for free. I used the opportunity to stock up on all the stuff we were out of, and bought a lot of spices and things to do my Christmas baking with. All of that stuff was on a big sale, so I felt that I got a really good deal.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
The cheapest turkey I saw yesterday was on sale for 1.29 a pound. I keep waiting for my local grocery stores to charge admission just for me to go look at the meat section.
We probably won't have turkey this year. But thats ok. Chicken and dressing is close enough.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow 2dream...you are kinda my area. surprised they haven't gone alot lower by now.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC If prices don't go down mine won't be the only household without turkey this year. Yesterday when I was in the store looking at the turkeys there were several couples looking as well. They were all complaining about the prices and they all walked away without a turkey. So I stood there for a few minutes watching. No one picked up a turkey while I was there. People walked by, stopped, some dug through the pile of turkeys looking for a small one or an error in pricing I guess. But not one person put a turkey in their basket. So I see one heck of a sale on turkeys headed my way. Probably right after Thanksgiving. But thats ok too. I will buy 2 if the prices drop and will eat turkey to my little hearts content for Christmas.

Edited to add: Kroger pretty much has a monopoly around here other than a few small chains - all out of my way. There are 3 Krogers in my immediate driving area. All 3 price differently. The one I was at yesterday has the lowest prices on most items other than special sales at the other 2 stores.

Latest posts