What's the raw milk deal?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I wouldn't say raw milk tastes the same...... it depends on the season, and what they are eating. I started buying raw cow milk in the spring, and it tasted very grassy. I mean really grassy, from someone who had only had store bought milk. When the farmer turned his cows out into a different pasture, I could tell. I could taste the grass in my butter and cheese too.

Now that it's winter, and the cows will probably start eating more hay, I'll bet the milk will be blander, more like store bought milk.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, since the raw milk I drink its goats, its different, but its still better than pastuerized, whether cow's or goat's. A lot of things can affect the taste of milk, diet, how the milk is handled, butter fat and protien content, etc. Our first does' milk always tasted like store bought, except richer, even though I'm sure she was fed completely different from what rthey feed commericial cows.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We drink it and make yogurt with it. I pay $4.29 a half gallon plus a $2 deposit on the glass bottle it comes in. I love seeing that separation. And it tastes sooooooooo good! We can get goats' milk too, but I prefer the cows'.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I just picked up my raw milk and it is 5 bucks per 1/2 gallon!!! I get a whole gallon's worth for the week.

We treat it like liquid gold and when the week's supply gets near its end we act like we are stranded on a deserted island and everyone gets a little ration of milk. :p (I have to sleep with one eye open too or it vanishes mysteriously!)

I make sure my 13 year old gets a cup every morning and she cant waste it! (I don't force it on her, she does enjoy the taste! :p I just save enough for her to get some before school.)
WHERE DID YOU FIND IT???? We currently live in Tacoma area and have lived in Auburn (born & raised) and Olympia-I haven't found RAW milk in AGES!!! But then I don't know of any dairy nearby (other than in Roy) or that they can/will sell it, nor have I been to a health food store either. And I betcha you're gonna say health food store--yes? no? Please let me know-thanks! :frow

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
big brown horse said:
I just picked up my raw milk and it is 5 bucks per 1/2 gallon!!! I get a whole gallon's worth for the week.

We treat it like liquid gold and when the week's supply gets near its end we act like we are stranded on a deserted island and everyone gets a little ration of milk. :p (I have to sleep with one eye open too or it vanishes mysteriously!)

I make sure my 13 year old gets a cup every morning and she cant waste it! (I don't force it on her, she does enjoy the taste! :p I just save enough for her to get some before school.)
WHERE DID YOU FIND IT???? We currently live in Tacoma area and have lived in Auburn (born & raised) and Olympia-I haven't found RAW milk in AGES!!! But then I don't know of any dairy nearby (other than in Roy) or that they can/will sell it, nor have I been to a health food store either. And I betcha you're gonna say health food store--yes? no? Please let me know-thanks! :frow
Sorry I just got this today! I buy it in bremerton and it is delicious!

ETA: It is yellow, not white because it was from grass fed cows.