What's up with that?!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I went to our local second hand store--Value Village, and I was terribly disappointed. It seems like they are charging way too much money for used stuff. Cheapest pair of pants for my dd were $12, I looked for a "new" winter coat for me--cheapest was $40, and it wasn't very nice. So I went to a store and found a brand new Ducks Unlimited coat on sale for $40. I like shopping second hand, but not when the prices ar basically the same as new.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for a second hand... well, pretty much anything to wear.

Check back in a couple of weeks to see if the stuff is still there. If they don't sell it, maybe they will bring the prices down. :)

Cassandra

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I bought the coat b/c I needed it, but i will go back to check it out again. I just thought they are getting greedy, as all companies seem to get. If their prices don't go down, I will find someone to complain to. I also wonder if it is just our store, or if it is happening elsewhere also.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think it might have to do with management.

Our Value Village seems to have steady prices. There was one time I went there (several years ago) that the prices seemed unreasonable, but the next time I went back it seemed back to normal.

But I have noticed there are a lot more shoppers in there now!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our goodwill stores etc. are increasing prices. I shop less and less there definitely. All discount stores etc. are not discount anymore! :)

best to shop sales...like you said, a new coat, same price as a used one.....hey I know which one I would choose.

I just picked up a nice coat at Sams Club for $34....which I needed. I have been checking, like you, my thrift stores and such but most were in the $25 category and I knew I could get exactly what I wanted and a good price too if I shopped elsewhere.....so I hear ya big time.

everyone be careful, we think there are good deals out there in thrift stores, goodwill, salvage, etc. etc.....but not so discounted now. Just as easy to buy new with coupon, sales and holiday specials etc.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Last time I shopped Value Village, jeans were still about $6. I don't know if any retail stores can beat that. Also Value Village has days when everything is half off. But I will keep my eyes open. The increase in demand will probably result in higher prices sooner or later.

It is good advice to shop around. Always shop around.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Our local Goodwills have pretty much turned into indoor flea markets. The one I used to shop even hired an antiques knowledgeable individual to help price dishes, glassware, and other collectible items. Now they are asking collector prices for things that they get for free.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been pinching pennies so tight lately (no shopping at ALL except food LOL) that I haven't even been to my favorite thrift stores. So, I wonder if the prices are going up over there.

Are their prices ever negotiable, do you think? I have never asked.

Cassandra (who has four or five winter coats I need to donate to the thrift store. I'm sure there's someone out there who needs 'em)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea cassandra, our goodwill used to bargain a bit.
if something was $2 I would say --how about a buck and they would take it....now they won't bargain at all. they say all prices are marked and that is it......oh my, where are the good old days.

hey if any of those coats are good still, keep some for you.....that way ya just don't have to buy one any time soon..LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heehee They are my little boys coats that he has finally outgrown. He has worn them for the past three years, but they are still in good shape. Lots of wear left in them.

Cassandra

Latest posts