What's up with that?!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unstitch them and make yourself a big coat.
HA HA HA HA

yea time to donate..LOL...some little kid sure could use a warm coat! :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our Goodwill had a perfectly good store about 15 years old. They put it up for sale and built a new store and the old one is empty. No wonder they have increased their prices recently - have to pay for it some way. I have seen used items in there for MORE than they would cost new.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have tried thrift-store shopping a few times but have run into that same problem. I'm not going to pay $12 for a used pair of jeans for my boys when I can get the same pair at target for $10. I prefer trading or buying clothes from friends. I have one friend who gives me clothes when her oldest son outgrows them. My kids wear them for a while and when they outgrow them, I give them back to her for her youngest. Some things don't make it that far, but most of the clothes are still in decent shape when I give them back to her. A couple months ago, I saw a neighbor setting up a yard sale with tons of clothes. I knew she has a son a couple years older than my boys, so I went right over and bought all the shorts and pants I could. I got 7 pairs of pants, and 8 pairs of shorts and it only cost me $15!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think that is what I will try--posting ads in Cheapcycle for whatever sizes I'm looking for--that way you sav tax too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My wife and daughter help out at the local thrift store. It's run by a group that helps low income women during pregnancy (my wife gets mad when I refer to it as the "pregnancy store"), and their prices are extremely reasonable. Pants and dresses usually run in the two dollar range, they do charge a bit more for items that are truly collectible, but it's rare that they have such things.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is key too K0xxx
local thirft store vs. big chain like goodwill.....it is a big business and must pass on all costs to the customer. I guess staying local and supporting the community little guy sometimes is the best deal! :)

nice to help in that manner! :)