What's your areas most likely disaster and how are you prepared?

spiderman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In my area, we're looking at major snowfall, (and like in '93) a very extreme icestorm. Extreme fires are rare, most house fires around here are caused by people doing dumb stuff. Like leaving gunpowder near a blowtorch or something.

In the ways of prepardness, it's iffy. If we lose power, no heat, and no very little water. (Unless of course it's the middle of winter! :) ) We have lots of foods that don't need to be cooked, and we can still cook without power (hooray!!) and if we run out? There's a lot of rabitts running around ( :D )

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Floods & fires would be our naural disaster problems. There is a nuculear(sp?0 power plant up near Phx that could get attacked & cause problems too. But if that happens I don't really think there would be too much to worry about for a lot of people. We keep a little bit of feed & hay ahead for the animals if we got trapped in here because of floods(the road becomes inpassable). And we have plenty stored up for us in the pantry & freezers to last awhile. And we have a generator to run the freezers if need be. We have a kerosene heater & oil lamps if need be along with candles too. And we have 3 propane tanks for our grill(2 off the travel trailer) if we need them. Cases of bottled water too & a 55 gal drum with water for the critters. Lots of games to play in case there was no tv too to help pass the time & always lots of schoolwork for the kids too.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Landslides caused by earthquakes and or typhoons, flash flooding.

Two weeks of food and and essentials stocked. Most people have an earthquake bug out bag of 1-3 days supplies ready to run with.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
johnElarue- the scariest earthquake I ever experienced was in Japan (Tokyo>) I live in California and have been through lots of them here but that one in Japan was a sharp jolt that just kept going. :th

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi enjoy the ride and all,

What were you doing in Tokyo? Haven't had a tremor in a long time, knock on wood.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Here in So Cal my biggest fear is wild fire...which seem to be a greater threat each year. I never remember wild fires growing up here, well ok I remember 1! My kids talk about Fire Week...the week they will get off of school each fall due to terrible air quality because of fires. Crazy!

The other biggie is earthquakes. Although I have lived thru many many EQs I have never been at risk or really even truly frightened...so there is a false sense of improbability which causes me to not be as prepared as I should. I do try to keep plenty of food on hand and water, first aid kit. But I do not have an earthquake kit per se.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wow - its good to read what everyone is doing.

We've only been here for a year, so are very unprepared, but trying a little at a time.

We'd lose water if our power went out, we need a manual pump for the well. I've saved/put some water aside, but I think we'd need ALOT. (4 people here and lots of animals)

We're in line mostly for tornado's - but snow and ice would also cause some problems.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
One of the things my little private water system (11 parcels sharing a creek) did was to put in a 10000 gallon tank reserve for firefighting use only. I pretty much duplicated that at my own place- I have 2 2500 gallon tanks. Might be just a drop in the bucket but could be a life saver too.
My sister put in a 250 gallon tank for her well, which produces fine, so that if the power went out, she would have alittle reserve too.
It's a relatively cheap way to store a bit- you just need a flat spot with a layer of pea gravel to even it out and a spigot at the bottom. You can fill it from the top and use it for your garden watering once or twice a year to clean it out.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My area would be snow/ice storms, tornado, and hurricane remanents. 7 of my neighbors were without power for a full week when Ike came through because of downed pour lines.
We heat only with wood so we would be ok for snow/ice, we are well stocked on food, have a small generator for freezers and fridge. Our major problem would be clean water for drinking and washing...and then for flushing. I would have to say clean water is the area I am most UNprepared for!!