What's your areas most likely disaster and how are you prepared?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
dacjohns said:
It isn't about zombies, it's about natural disasters.
The zombie thing is just a metaphor for all disasters. If you're prepared for a zombie outbreak, you are prepared for most anything that nature (or man) throws at you. BUT, if it ever does come to rampaging mutant zombie bikers, I'll be ready.
I know about the zombie thing :) . The point I was trying to make is that some folks, loosely stereotyped as survivalists, are all about preparing for for a breakdown of society and having to head for the hills with their supply of weapons and ammunition. :hide

I'm of the mindset of preparing for short term disruptions such as job loss and weather related events.

If I get attacked by mutant zombie bikers I'll probably be the first one to yell for help and say I guess you all were right after all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been putting it off or just forgetting it, but will definitely be putting that hand pump on the spare well this spring and buying some couplings that would suffice if one had to pump water from the existing well and didn't have electricity. I imagine, with the right pump, one could tie into the existing lines and use this water...will have to find out how deep is this well.

Also will be looking for a hand powered grain mill...all this wheat is for naught if one must grind by electric and one doesn't have it.

Also must store more lighting fuel, like kerosene.

Cascadiana

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After the earthquake in Chile, I read several scary articles about how similar the situation is in the Seattle area, which is overdue for a MAJOR Cascadian Subduction Zone quake.

So if the quake doesn't get me when I just HAPPEN to be in Seattle at the University of Washington Dental School for the long-term overhaul on my pearly whites, I'll probably get buried in the pyroclastic flow when I'm hiking on Mt. Rainier and it blows. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait...the tsunami from the earthquake is a contender, too, 'cuz I like to walk on the beach. :D

Cascadiana

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome, Old Fashioned! I am indeed a Washingtonian (east of Chehalis).

It'll be JUST MY LUCK to have survived ten years in California living right next to the San Andreas fault without a WHISPER of earth movement -- and now have a front-row seat in Washington for The Big One if it happens.

Ah, well. I love it here. :)

Latest posts