What's your favorite source for non-electric items?

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sure some of you here have some great sources for items used around the home for the self-sufficient lifestyle that don't and/or shouldn't require electricity. I have gotten a lot of ideas from...

http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=

I have purchased a few things from this catalog, but I am sure there are less expensive sources out there. But we all know that cheaper isn't necessarily better...

So! Where do you get your high-quality non-electric items?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the Lehman's catalogue as a source of indoor/outdoor homestead and food-processing gear. Similar in scope, but from Canada, is Berry Hill:
http://www.berryhilllimited.com/

For hand tools, mainly for woodworking and associated activities. Very good quality. Woodcraft Supply
http://www.woodcraft.com/

For hand woodworking and gardening tools, and some general around-home items, this is a very good source... mainly Canadian (possibly some US retail outlets). Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/

One thing my wife and I discovered a couple years back, to our surprise, is that Amazon.com sells good cookware, etc. So you can always check there, too.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My source is older peoples houses. I've been able to find some really nice stuff my trading much needed work for self-sufficient type stuff they no longer need. Just a little while ago I traded a couple days work for a cook woodstove. Most elders don't have the money to pay for carpenters, electricians, etc So I have a skill they can use and they have things I am looking for. So that is my source.

I am in talks with a gentalmen for his old tracker. It's a 1960 wit all attachments stored in the barn. Still NEW!! I'm leaning towns building his wood shop for it. HMMM

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In addition to the above (I knew about Lehman's and regularly head over to Lee Valley to check things out, but thanks for the Berry Hill recommendation Joel!) I love antique malls (where individual sellers rent booths) and flea markets. You have to go often, and look hard for what you want, but there are some great deals!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, Thefan and moolie... I hadn't even been thinking about sources for used items. Funny, because my wife and I have obtained countless useful items in good shape from garage sales, flea markets, and second-hand stores! You two are right.

Thefan, your bartering of work for useful items is very impressive, and makes a lot of sense. Good on you!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a lot of amish around here. They have little stores here and there, withen 10 miles of our home we have a small country store, a feed store, a saddle/leather goods/tack store, a buggy maker, a cabenet maker, and a log furniture maker. And none of them throw anything away. But about an hour north-west of us is the BIG "dutchmans" store- it is a huge amish run store. They have a lot of bulk spices and such. But also have a large fabric dept., a large selection of amish and ss books, oil lamps of all kinds (and parts, wicks, ect.), non elect clocks, footware, toys, and canning supplies. I am also getting my bar laundry soap there. Among other things you can't get at wal mart!

I know it is not avalable to everyone, but if you have amish withen driving distance.... you can check with them.

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lehman's rocks and i love lee valey i have spent a small fortune there, they are my go-to for cabinetry and furniture tools, specialty jigs etc... we go to the "antique malls" as moolie mentioned, but i love the estate auctions. our local auctioneer has a web page with pics as well as lists for upcoming auctions.

doc

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This reminds me that I need to go up to the Amish store just over the PA line.... I never looked there from an SS perspective.
I just know that someday I have to have a set of the windchimes that they sell, they are AMAZING.
They probably do have bulk food though, I wonder if that would be a good source of rice...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Where is this store? Don't think I'm familiar w/it, but I'll be going to Lancaster County in April.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here where we are there are several smaller amish "groups" around us. They all have stores of some kind, you have to go visit to see who has the good deals and who sells bulk some are small and are just to get things between town trips. The duchmans store has everything! And at good prices too. They take up a whole block. They sell many of the things Lehmans does at as good or better price- and no shipping.