Wheat Berries

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok my question is to y'all, Those that grind their own wheat or any other grains , Do you save the germ ? And what do you use it for ?

Thank y'all

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They do taste good, any which way.

But I only cook them as kohliva, or memorial wheat, in memory of the dead.

Of course wheat is so often used to symbolize Christ. And of course how it must die in order to rise again (the plant dies, and the seed "dies" in order to sprout into a new plant). Sometimes I use a different grain, but wheat is most traditional.

When cooked for a memorial, I use chopped parsley for the green of the earth, ground almonds since almonds are the perfect pairing of sweet and bitter, and some cumin for the bitter of the loss of the person. I mound it up, as the grave in which the person is buried, cover in powdered sugar for the sweet of the Resurrection/for the person to be with Christ.

I like the fact that if I am sad about the death... I use more bitter.... if my sorrow is mild/ more healed I use much less bitter and more sweet.

I always use semi-sweet chocolate, since I think that is also a perfect combination of sweet and bitter. The sadness of loss and the joy of the world to come.

Here are 2 of the ones I have done for my dad.

20181029_231303.jpg

This one is on the church. After the service it is mixed together and then spooned into the cups to hand out to those who attended the service.

20180728_160753.jpg

AllerkrosS3

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't leave the germ, because I don't see the point of what to do with them later...

Latest posts