Wheat Harvest In Kansas

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the Kansas wheat harvest is running full bore. I helped my brother and his son cut wheat yesterday. They only had 60 acres to cut so it was just a little afternoon job. He cuts with a 22 foot header combine, A/C, cab, and radio. I got 15 gallon of wheat out of the deal for storage. :celebrate

When I lived in western Kansas I helped a friend cut wheat out there. He harvests around 1,500 acres using three 30 foot header combines. After breakfast, we would fuel up, grease, repair, and get the equipment ready, and the cutting would usually start around 11 A.M. and run until midnight. Long days, but all are in comfortable cabs with the A/C going full blast. I can remember the days before the cab. That was dirty, filthy, and hot. Wow what a change. :ya

The wheat harvest in the western parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and on to Canada is fun to be a part of. It is a huge force which moves from south to north this time every year.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have family in Kansas and they are probably gearing up for harvest. I haven't talked to them in a month or more. My aunt's family is in NW Kansas and my cousin farms in the south central area.

One year I got to ride the huge combine with my uncle for a short while. Those air-conditioned cabs were sure a blessing to get into on those days that could reach 100.

It would be fun to be out there right now helping. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We got to see it almost full grown and before the harvest began. So beautiful!
266_dcfc0253.jpg

headred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We live in eastern Kansas and always come help my dad in central Kansas with his harvest. This is the first year in at least 50 years that there is no wheat for him to cut because he has so much in CRP. Weird for everyone, so vacations for all! Next year its back to normal.