Wheat?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You'll have to pardon my ignorance but I see wheat in all these emergency food storage item lists. What can you do with it, i know you can make bread but what else and does anyone have the recipe's for the foods we're supposed to make with all this wheat we are going to store. again pardon my ignorance ive been spoiled to ready made and prepackaged flour and meal.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Cook it as a grain in casseroles, pilaf, etc. Depending on how fine you grind it, pie crust (for savory pies), instead of bread crumbs, etc. Use it as part of poultry feed mix.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I enjoy snacking on a handful of it.
You can also cook it as a breakfast cereal.

We need to find a cheaper source of wheat. Where does everyone purchase it and what does it cost?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bread is pretty important for a meal, so I'm pretty content to use my wheat for just bread. For hard times, bread can be nutritious and filling. Imagine your life without bread of any kind.....no more sandwiches????? :barnie

:D

My mom buys hers at the health food store for around $.99 per lb. She grinds it in her Vitamix.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Bread, cake, pies, pastas, cereal. Anything made with flour.

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Bread is pretty important for a meal, so I'm pretty content to use my wheat for just bread. For hard times, bread can be nutritious and filling. Imagine your life without bread of any kind.....no more sandwiches????? :barnie

:D

My mom buys hers at the health food store for around $.99 per lb. She grinds it in her Vitamix.
OMG, LOL this made me giggle - when the big Atkins craze first got going, I worked at a Subway sub shop. I decided to try not eating bread for a week .

I would dream about eating bread, I would wake up craving bread - I LOVE MY CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured the diet just wasn't for me, LOL. I cannot live without bread and pasta.

Peace -
Meriah

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Didn't I hear though that if you don't usually have wheat in your diet not to go buy a ton and go overboard with it?
I think it does something to your body and it has to adjust.
I love bread myself and make it but there are family members here that are allergic to gluten so no wheat for them.
Try finding gluten free anything in the stores, not fun.
Anyway, I know I just read that in a thread either here or on BYC that not to just start eating alot of wheat at once.
I'll see if I can find that thread to see what it meant.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I had posted about easing into a whole wheat diet. It is high in fiber and if your body isn't used to a lot of fiber it can cause flatulance and loose bowels until your body adjusts.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I use mine for all my flour needs. We rarely eat anything with white flour in it anymore. Of course we use soft white wheat berries for everything but bread. My families love it & would rather have the whole wheat pancakes than ones made with white store bought flour(I only buy unbleached of that).