When an Idea Runs Amok...

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:D
"... to EWE MAMA - cute avatar pic!

Do you use your sheep for anything beyond yard ornaments/field mowers? Do you shear them and work with the wool?

Thank you! The picture is of Patches and Polly, born June 12th this year. They were surprises we found out in one of the grazing pens that day.

We mainly keep the sheep for grazing, but I do shear the wool and use the good portions for stuffing dolls. I have a spinning wheel but have not yet had the opportunity to learn how to use it properly. That is on one of my lists of things to do, though! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I totally need to make this fodder system work. My poor sheep are not doing well. They are so thin and I can worm them only so much before the warmers are rendered ineffective. I only have six right now and dh keeps telling me to sell four of them, but I wouldn't want to sell them the way they are now. I keep rotating their grazing pens every two days, but they still never gain.

If I can get the fodder to work, it should make a huge improvement.

Here's some good advice. I don't know what breed you are running, but I'd sell the breed you are dealing with now and move towards the Katahdin breed. No need for shearing, their wool comes off in big sheets filled with creamy lanolin that can be rendered and used for an emollient or waterproofing of boots, etc. They stay fat on just grass and hay, are naturally parasite resistant if you don't overuse dewormers and trend to a more natural approach to deworming....using chemical dewormers over and over just breeds stronger, more resistant parasites and does nothing to develop your sheep's parasite resistance at all, they are a milky breed and gentle for handling.

If the breed you have is not working and it's always a struggle to keep them healthy and thriving, it's time to change breeds or change methods. If you have small acreage, it's best to go for breeds that are more parasite resistant and stay fat on grass instead of needing grain all the time...this way you can keep them healthy and fat on just what you are growing~grass~and feed them a cheaper feed in the winter months~hay.

If not wanting the wool for spinning, then it's a win/win to get a breed that doesn't need shearing at all. Katahdins still have a very fine textured wool for a hair breed and they shed more completely, in large sheets, than the other hair breeds, so you can still recover their wool for felting, stuffing, insulation, etc.

If the desire is to farm smarter, not harder, then selling what you have that is not working is a smart move. Starting over with a breed and/or method that actually works in your situation is a positive move. Farming is full of reversals, do overs, changes in breeds or methods until one gets the right fit for success...but if you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you always had. I'd listen to your husband but go one further and sell them all. Then I'd study up on breeds, culling for herd vigor, natural methods to naturally good health for livestock, etc. and make a plan for keeping them healthy instead of making them healthy.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's some good advice. I don't know what breed you are running, but I'd sell the breed you are dealing with now and move towards the Katahdin breed. No need for shearing, their wool comes off in big sheets filled with creamy lanolin that can be rendered and used for an emollient or waterproofing of boots, etc. They stay fat on just grass and hay, are naturally parasite resistant if you don't overuse dewormers and trend to a more natural approach to deworming....using chemical dewormers over and over just breeds stronger, more resistant parasites and does nothing to develop your sheep's parasite resistance at all, they are a milky breed and gentle for handling.

If the breed you have is not working and it's always a struggle to keep them healthy and thriving, it's time to change breeds or change methods. If you have small acreage, it's best to go for breeds that are more parasite resistant and stay fat on grass instead of needing grain all the time...this way you can keep them healthy and fat on just what you are growing~grass~and feed them a cheaper feed in the winter months~hay.

If not wanting the wool for spinning, then it's a win/win to get a breed that doesn't need shearing at all. Katahdins still have a very fine textured wool for a hair breed and they shed more completely, in large sheets, than the other hair breeds, so you can still recover their wool for felting, stuffing, insulation, etc.

If the desire is to farm smarter, not harder, then selling what you have that is not working is a smart move. Starting over with a breed and/or method that actually works in your situation is a positive move. Farming is full of reversals, do overs, changes in breeds or methods until one gets the right fit for success...but if you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you always had. I'd listen to your husband but go one further and sell them all. Then I'd study up on breeds, culling for herd vigor, natural methods to naturally good health for livestock, etc. and make a plan for keeping them healthy instead of making them healthy.

BeeKissed, your advice is very sound and I thank you for it.

We keep Finnish Landrace sheep. I chose them because I do use the wool (albeit not for spinning yet, as I had originally planned, but for stuffing handmade dolls), they are very friendly (even the rams are very sweet-tempered), they are naturally polled, and they are born with short, clean tails so no docking is necessary. They are supposed to be the best of all lamb for eating, but I have never tried it. I have sold my ram lambs after weaning, as I have never been able to get them to a good weight to make a good meal out of them. The ewes are excellent mothers and they are very prolific, which has actually been a con of the breed for us. One of our ewes doubled our population when she gave birth to six lambs two years ago.

I love my sheep, but I know that our pasture stinks. We keep getting a lot of rain, which makes the parasites go into overdrive.

I would gladly sell the lot of them, but I don't feel like it would be honest to do so when they are so thin. They look heathy, judging by their wool, but when I feel their sides, I feel their ribs. I don't want to pass my wormy sheep off onto someone else who might have even less of a clue than I did. I don't want to introduce our drug resistant worms into someone else's pastures and harm other animals.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So my fodder is coming along pretty well. I had to revamp some of my system today, but I think it will sprout better. I am noticing a small amount of white mold on the fodder that is almost ready. I already have a dehumidifier taking a significant amount of water out of the air, but I suppose an additional fan is needed for better circulation.

I found a good source for wheat to sprout, so that was a happy dance moment for the day.

The rams have been enjoying the cooler weather a tad too much. They are making, "Hey, baby, why don't you come on over for a little lovin'" faces and sounds at the ewes. I am praying the fences will hold up! Fortunately, the weather is going to heat up next week, so they will be out of the mood again for a little while.

I am trying to figure out how to operate the mammoth rototiller I purchased a couple months ago. I was finally able to get two guys over to help me put it together. It runs, the tines turn, but I apparently purchased one that doesn't come with a mechanism that actually propels the machine forward. That or we put it together incorrectly. The directions aren't much help beyond putting the thing together. Actually, they weren't very helpful for that aspect, either. lol!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just love directions like that. I hope you get it figured out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Google/UTube can be your friend for all things mechanical! Those things can be so frustrating - hope it all comes together for you.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I had tried googling, but no such luck. I tried using it again today, but it kept sputtering out after I started it. I hope it just needs more gas!

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anybody living in the Midwest really manage to grow mold-free fodder?

Every time I think I have the right levels of water, air circulation, and humidity, the mold comes back. :he

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've wanted to, but I've never tried it. I think mold would be a big issue in my steamy, humid part of the world. There might be a few weeks out of the year that would work - but unless it was done inside an air conditioned building I don't see it being worth a lot of investment.

Good luck though!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to operate the mammoth rototiller I purchased a couple months ago. I was finally able to get two guys over to help me put it together. It runs, the tines turn, but I apparently purchased one that doesn't come with a mechanism that actually propels the machine forward. That or we put it together incorrectly. The directions aren't much help beyond putting the thing together. Actually, they weren't very helpful for that aspect, either. lol!

Could you tell us the make of your tiller? Maybe even a pic or two...could be someone here has one similar and can help you.

Does anybody living in the Midwest really manage to grow mold-free fodder?

Every time I think I have the right levels of water, air circulation, and humidity, the mold comes back. :he

Maybe what you are seeing is yeast instead of mold? Could you tell us how you are doing it, maybe someone here has a few suggestions for a tweak or two.

Latest posts