When are apples ripe?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We are now the proud caretakers of a few fruti trees, most are done for the season (stone fruits) but there is a cute little apple tree with about a dozen apples on it.

I have no idea what variety they are. Short of plucking one off to taste it, it there any way to know when they are ripe?

Apples1-1.jpg

Apples.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think I remember hearing that the stem should easily separate from the fruit when twisted, if they are ready to harvest. The best way to tell is to try them (they should be crisp and tasty) and if you know the variety (which you don't) to watch the color of the skin. If this is your first year with them, I would just pick one every so often and see if you can guess the variety by the flavor. You should be able to tell when they are at their prime, if you check them regularly. That is what I did with my two mature apple trees. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow those are great! i almost want to say they are gala???

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless you know the variety and/or the tree from previous years, the best you can do is wait til it picks easily; or take one off and try it (go by a] taste and b] whether the seeds are brown yet)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Dace - are you musical? :D

Hold an apple touching your ear and tap it on the far side. If it is not ripe it will "thud." If it is ripe, it will ring like a bell! If it is overripe it will not ring.

I look pretty silly in a supermarket! :gig

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am thinking that they may be Galas. I twisted one just sightly and it easily came off.

Tort, what a great idea! I just tried that with the one I picked and two store bought....I would not say I heard a bell (also not musical) but it was a much more clear sound than on the picked apple....which I then bit into and confirmed that it is not ripe. Confirming your little tap method.

I am going to ask the owner what variety this tree is and when they come ripe.

Thanks everyone!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Growning up and living most of the last 52 years in apple country here in the NW, I would agree that they are probably Galas. Here in Wa they come off the last of this month, so it should be soon,
Enjoy them, they are my favorite apple. Not to good for cooking but great as an eating apple.:drool

They will easily come off with a up turn of the apple, don't pull down, apple like to "pop" off when they are ready.