When do you replace your car?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We got rid of my husband's 93 Ford Ranger when it constantly smelled from the mold. The back window leaked and we never could find out where exactly it came from. It also overheated and broke down on a daily basis. We sold it for 300 dollars and went and bought a used Durango cause we needed something to pull a trailer. It has been worth it for us but we also negotiated until we got a low enough payment that it was comprable to our previous car payment and we didn't experience any shift in funds going out every month.

I think every situation is different and you have to weigh the pros and cons of getting a new car. I won't get a BRAND NEW car again, I think I will always buy used with low mileage if you can find it. Ours was a rental vehicle, scary, I know. :p

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For what it's worth I have three cars:

1. 2007 Kia Sedona Van
2. '96 Honda Civic
3. '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck

Lori simply HAD to have the van, which she makes the payment on. It is the only finance payment we have, aside from our small mortgage.
Both the Honda and the Mitsubishi were "deals."

I got the Honda for $600 - it needed a $35 rear window. It runs great and is tres reliable. The truck was $500 and I had to tune it up. The only thing I've ever put into it is a water pump and brakes.
Both coast a pittance in taxes and to insure.

So when do I get rid of them? When they are more trouble to fix than to replace. SO far no worries. With the money I save by NOT making payments on them, I can pay cash for replacements when the time comes.