when is it really bad?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
How do you know if you have bad mayonnaise? My jar expired in March and have been using it ever since to make sandwiches, it smells like vinegar but thought it always did - How can you tell if there is mother of mayo growing in it? Hate to throw it out at $2.50 a jar.

I also just found out I was using some cocktail sauce that expired in 2008 (yes it was opened) not to mention the Pepto Bismol that I took the other day had a funny taste - expiry 2005...

When does bad mean bad? I think this 20 year survival food that is so expensive is nothing but repackaged ramen noodles, which only has a half life and not an expiration date.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Well...........ya ain't dead yet so it couldn't have been THAT bad! :gig

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The "expiration date" frequently means that the nutritional value of the product will start to degrade, not that it will "go bad". Mayo will eventually separate, and because it has eggs I personally watch it a bit more closely than other things, but I consider "use by" dates to be suggestions, not mandates.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I read somewhere (not sure where) that with all the preservatives in mayo its not as dangerous these days as people think.

The example they used was: If you get food poisoning from potato salad that has been left out to long the culprit is probably the onions and not the mayo. Raw onions left out are much worse than warm mayo.

Ldychef is exactly right. Use by dates are mostly suggestions.

Consider that our properly canned foods are good for years.

Because like most of us I stockpile lots of stuff, I usually go by the date its actually opened instead of the date thats stamped on it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say regardless of the date if it taste nasty don't eat it. Your sense of taste and smell are a good indicator. Go with your instincts.

g

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I read somewhere (not sure where) that with all the preservatives in mayo its not as dangerous these days as people think.

The example they used was: If you get food poisoning from potato salad that has been left out to long the culprit is probably the onions and not the mayo. Raw onions left out are much worse than warm mayo. I think I read the same article published by Kraft, they mentioned that the vinegar that gives it tang also acts as a natural preserative.

Ldychef is exactly right. Use by dates are mostly suggestions.And many read that way, "Best if used by"

Consider that our properly canned foods are good for years.I worked in a canning operation where the metal cans were made on site and then filled and processed( Steam pressure retorts like a pressure canner) One of our QC methods was that the canned product MUST sit for 8 days in our room temperature warehouse. Under processed cans would explode (heck of a mess to clean up) and cans with defects would leak. I have been very carefull of metal cans eversince.
Later I worked in QC on over the counter and prescription drugs, we had to have stability data to back our "use by" claims. The FDA usually allowed us to claim half the time we could prove ie if we had data that it was good for 2 years they would allow a 1 year experation date on the label. Management never protested, they knew it helped sell more.~gd

Because like most of us I stockpile lots of stuff, I usually go by the date its actually opened instead of the date thats stamped on it.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
2dream said:

The example they used was: If you get food poisoning from potato salad that has been left out to long the culprit is probably the onions and not the mayo. Raw onions left out are much worse than warm mayo. I think I read the same article published by Kraft, they mentioned that the vinegar that gives it tang also acts as a natural preserative.

Ldychef is exactly right. Use by dates are mostly suggestions.And many read that way, "Best if used by"

Consider that our properly canned foods are good for years.I worked in a canning operation where the metal cans were made on site and then filled and processed( Steam pressure retorts like a pressure canner) One of our QC methods was that the canned product MUST sit for 8 days in our room temperature warehouse. Under processed cans would explode (heck of a mess to clean up) and cans with defects would leak. I have been very carefull of metal cans eversince.
Later I worked in QC on over the counter and prescription drugs, we had to have stability data to back our "use by" claims. The FDA usually allowed us to claim half the time we could prove ie if we had data that it was good for 2 years they would allow a 1 year experation date on the label. Management never protested, they knew it helped sell more.~gd

All of the above offers some good approach. For me, I use the sniff test. If it smells funny, I pitch it. Living alone gives me LOTS of practice with this method. The old addage is the best...If in doubt, throw it out!
and for a guy who spent his life fixing electronic things, I would imagine you have a good "smeller". If you smell something that smells like an electric component burning, you tend to know it. The same is true with food. Milk is a good example.
Hope this helps.
Semper Fi
Trim

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Un/Fortunately (depending on how you look at it) it should all still be good.

We often shop at a 'bent and dent' grocer where they get shipments of outdated, dented, or 'faulty' food items for a cheaper price than usual, and it's just as good as the new stuff.

Good to see you and your yokelish ways around and about XPC, it's been a little dry lately.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
When I traveled for a living I ate all meals out for 6 years and got food poisoning many times, when out of the country I took Imodium AD as a morning vitamin pill not waiting for symptoms as it would be too late then.

I knew the expiry dates were a close estimate but also found that you can't always smell or taste a bad food product.

About 10 years ago I worked maintenance at a soap bottling plant, made antibacterial hand soap and Snuggles fabric softener. They had to have a 1 year expiry date on them because snuggles has rendered hog fat in it.

One my favorite thing to do was use my scribe to poke tiny holes in the snuggle bear eyes, when the filled bottle came out of the machine and hit the conveyor belt where dozens of undocumented workers were it looked as if the bear was crying tiny blue tears - stigmata.

They didn't speak english and never knew what they were saying but made quite a fuss about it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
One my favorite thing to do was use my scribe to poke tiny holes in the snuggle bear eyes, when the filled bottle came out of the machine and hit the conveyor belt where dozens of undocumented workers were it looked as if the bear was crying tiny blue tears - stigmata.

They didn't speak english and never knew what they were saying but made quite a fuss about it.
Evil, but Priceless!! A "snuggles the bear" stigmata! :lol: