When it rains, it pours

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a call from my daughter @ 5:00 am Wednesday asking where the water shut off was at for my rental house in town. I went over there fearing the worst. But there was no interior damage thankfully. My wife found a plumber who came over this afternoon. The main line that runs from the meter by the road to the house burst, It's a old steel line so it's just rotting away. They came and marked all the utilities and a new line will be put in tomorrow. Estimate $2,000.00, but the plumber has a senior discount. Who knew plumbers have a senior discount? So we might pay a little less...

The plumber was very polite and professional, which really amazed me. Plumbers are rare these days, as a matter of fact most trades are rare these days and not very "glamorous". It seems most young people want to go to college, get a degree and have an office job. But what they don't understand is, without the trades no offices would exist. I started off in the trades, but due to an back injury, I got a degree and a office job. If I could I would work in the trades, I prefer physical labor over brain power labor.

Anyways... My daughter will be happy to get running water again. Hopefully she will tomorrow. But it's an estimated 2k out of pocket we didn't plan on. Thank God we have been blessed to have them means to have savings that is more than sufficient for rainy days like this. I still refuse to have credit cards again, after what happened when oboma took office and the credit card companies called their debt. I don't ever want to live through that again.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to the rental house this morning to hang out with the plumbers. Actually it was a father/son effort. The father owns a back hoe business and the son owns the plumbing business. It was a total delight working with both of them. There were a lot of please and thank you between father and son. I showed up in work clothes and muck boots and a shovel. Both of them we're floored I actually wanted to help. Father dug a trench from the road main around the back of the house it was a long trench. New pex laid in and hooked up to the existing plumbing in the house everything was leak tested and all checked out ok. The total was $1,473.00 which was less than quoted. It was a total pleasure working with both guys, they were very professional and joked around with each other at the same time, just downright good people.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would stand on the roof shouting out his name! Word of mouth advertising is the best that money can’t buy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the best part is the water pressure significantly increased. The old steel main was bad, packed with rust and calcium deposits. From what I seen I would say the opening was less than the diameter of a pencil. The plumber said you should be good to go with PEX from the main and run to all the the fixtures in the house. He also said you won't have to worry about burst pipes from freezing either since PEX expands when frozen then contracts when when unfrozen. He also said to remove all the facuet screens and shower heads and soak them in CLR after flushing.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the best part is the water pressure significantly increased. The old steel main was bad, packed with rust and calcium deposits. From what I seen I would say the opening was less than the diameter of a pencil. The plumber said you should be good to go with PEX from the main and run to all the the fixtures in the house. He also said you won't have to worry about burst pipes from freezing either since PEX expands when frozen then contracts when when unfrozen. He also said to remove all the facuet screens and shower heads and soak them in CLR after flushing.

sounds like a keeper! we found a good plumper like that a few years ago and of course he was getting ready to retire (like our car mechanic). hard to find someone who does good honest work, is pleasant to work with, etc.

Latest posts