When there's no SS website or library to go to....

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have the old Reader's Digest Back to Basics book- I was impressed, even back when I got it how much sheer stuff they cover. From digging a well to knitting to animal husbandry. Great book! I also have several herb books -but I am horrible at identifying plants. Someone would have to bring me the plant and tell me what it is, then I could make medicinals out of it. :p

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Walden, by Thoreau.
Self sufficient Life and How to Live It, by Seymour.
The Fat of the Land, ibid.
The Bhagavad Gita, by Anonymous.
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Kingsolver.
Huckleberry Finn by Sam Clemens.
The Sojourner, by Rawlings.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I knew I could count on ya'll. :lol: I will definatly have to check these out. I have found my local library carries many of them so I can "try before I buy". I have also started a binder with web print-outs on stuff that I can not find anywhere eles or things I feel are important to know and keep (how to make lye-water, how to capture wild yeast, how to make lard, ect.)

You know, I'm more paranoid than I previously thought! :gig :hide

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh. You were looking for how-to books. I thought you were talking about books we couldn't live without if the SHTF.

:)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Buster said:
Oh. You were looking for how-to books. I thought you were talking about books we couldn't live without if the SHTF.

:)
That's fine too!!! I love Douglas Adams. And I know alot of people that could not live with out thier bible.