When to plant crops during this crazy spring....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We had a frost of 29 degrees!

I planted some seeds outdoors that did not sprout. I'm wondering if they are spoiled now or lying dormant? I'm thinking they probably got started sprouting when it was warm and then froze when we had the 29 degree night.

We also have had TORRENTIAL rain and in many areas, the soil is washed away. I'm sure I'll have some sprouts volunteering in the nooks and cranies.

I set up more indoor space today, I don't see what else to do. :hu

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Probably depends on the seeds (what you planted) and how long after you put them in the ground before the inclement weather came.

In the past, I've had peas sprout, and stay under 2" of snow for a week and be just fine. Cabbage is really good for starting early and going late.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
quinoa, spinach, radish, lettuce, beets, cilantro and sunflowers.

All should have sprouted by now but I see every quinoa sprouted but that is it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
quinoa, spinach, radish, lettuce, beets, cilantro and sunflowers.

All should have sprouted by now but I see every quinoa sprouted but that is it.
I would think everything but the sunflower and cilantro has a chance of making it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well the sunflower had gotten wet so I was just trying to salvage it. It was actually the BOSS I feed the birds,not sure if it will sprout. It was all damp so I didn' t want to put it in the feeder. And I was perhaps overanxious with the cilantro, we eat a ton, but I didn't use too many seeds.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The season has been crazy here in the south also. On the 3rd it was 85 degrees high, on the 4th 36 degrees low on the 9th it was 93. I had some early tomatoes up with a wall of water but took it off when it got to the 90's so tonight we get the low 40's.

I have tried to work the cool weather to my advantage with more crops like lettuce, green peas, and such that we have difficulty getting to maturity before the hot weather kills them.

I think you are probably doing the best you can. You might could protect plants with wall of water or frost blankets but it sounds too cold to germinate seeds this cold but hopefully the ones you planted are not ruined, just waiting for enough warmth.

Latest posts