When to start seeds?

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks ORChick - it worked this time and I'm happily checking out my planting times!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I like that! I see I'm already behind the times. It feels odd to plant seeds indoors when there is snow on the ground but maybe if I follow a plan this year it will work out better! Thanks!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I like that! I see I'm already behind the times. It feels odd to plant seeds indoors when there is snow on the ground but maybe if I follow a plan this year it will work out better! Thanks!
Hey SD, how are you doing with the snow? We were expecting to see some today, but apparently it has stalled up your way, and we won't see it till tomorrow or Friday. And here I was thinking that Spring was almost here :rolleyes:.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have about eight inches! And they are predicting four more over tonight and tomorrow.

My son is so happy....no school.

It is nice snow too, perfect for making snowballs, not slushy.

But it does seem strange to plant seeds now!

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
But it does seem strange to plant seeds now!
I agree! I was really surprised to see that some of the things I plant should have been started in early January! I usually start seeds around this time of year indoors, and plant them outside after the last frost. The other interesting thing I learned from the calendar is that there are different start times for different seeds. You're probably rolling your eyes and thinking "well that's obvious" but I've always planted all the seeds at the same time and moved them all outdoors at the same time too. Different strategy this year - I'll try to follow the schedule even though I'm already behind, and next year I'll be better prepared to start some in January!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
No no, when-snow-is-on-the-ground is the exact RIGHT time to start seeds, because what else can you do gardeningwise anyhow? Those first little green cotyledons peeking out of the seed husk are VITALLY important to my mental health. A foretaste of the actual Spring yet to come!

Pat

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Patandchickens- I'm with you; the little seedlings are the safest, cheapest and more effective antidepressant I've found! :D

I am working on putting my light shelves back up, I'm l-a-t-e this year!