When you process an animal how do you deal with the parasites?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am talking about mites, lice, and ticks. Do they ever jump on you and bite because their host is dead? Also, how about internal parasites like worms?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, a lot of the time external mites/lice are species specific. I know for sure they are when it comes to chickens and hogs.

Don't know about internal parasites though as I have never butchered/slaughtered in my life. :p

:pop

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Aren't internal parasites confined to the intestines/entrails? Which, if that were the case, they would be left alone, intact, and wouldn't affect you or the meat. I have never encountered internal parasites.

edited to add--deer ticks are NOT breed specific, they can latch onto you, but usually the hide has been removed before the ticks realize the host is no longer alive. Also to note, having done numerous deer, I have never seen one at all. the only time I have seen external parasites on a fresh kill was a snowshoe hare. It was infested with lice, and we quickly deposited the hide in the woods. no problems with the meat.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tapeworms if I remember right can be in the flesh of an animal. We caught some fish once that were infested with them. I hate to waste meat, but we threw it all out and buried it where nothing could get to it.
People acquire tapeworms by eating undercooked meat or freshwater fish that contain tapeworm cysts.
Other than being gross, if you cook the meat good there should be no threat from internal parasites. Unless it was infested like the fish was then I personally wouldn't be worried about it. Make sure that you wash your hands well after handling the animal. As for external parasites then I just try to get the cleaning done quickly, but unless it is ticks, they may bite you but will not stay on you.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
When I have to process a deer, it is generally COLD outside. I do a very quick field dressing, WITH GLOVES, then leave the carcass outside for the night. If it isn't cold enough, I fill it and cover it with bags of ice. When I bring it in for skinning the next day, EVERYTHING is dead.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Tapeworms if I remember right can be in the flesh of an animal. We caught some fish once that were infested with them. I hate to waste meat, but we threw it all out and buried it where nothing could get to it.
People acquire tapeworms by eating undercooked meat or freshwater fish that contain tapeworm cysts.
Other than being gross, if you cook the meat good there should be no threat from internal parasites. Unless it was infested like the fish was then I personally wouldn't be worried about it. Make sure that you wash your hands well after handling the animal. As for external parasites then I just try to get the cleaning done quickly, but unless it is ticks, they may bite you but will not stay on you.
Ah, yes. rings a bell. I know my hubby was doing some reading on eating raw meat. It must be frozen for 2 weeks to make sure all the parasites are killed. so, for all sushi, the meat must be frozen for 2 weeks, and other meats have varying internal temps in their cooking guidelines. I know pork and bear must be well done to avoid possible parasites.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So does that mean if you eat a fresh steak rare you have a chance of getting tapeworm?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think some meats are more prone to it than others, like pork and fish, but, well, yes from what I understand. We cook our meat well done.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
So does that mean if you eat a fresh steak rare you have a chance of getting tapeworm?
I think, with the CAFO meat, it is so pumped up with anitbiotics etc, that there is no real need to worry, and wild meat Or pastured meat is much healthier, that there is no real worry either, but there is always a slight chance.

When we harvest a deer, the first thing we do is throw the tenderloin on the barbecue. We NEVER cook it well done. We're still here. Bear, the tenderloin still goes on the grill, but we cook it well done. Chciken and game birds, always well done.