Where are all the lids???

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with old canning lids. I found some boxes in the cupboard last month that are at least a decade old. They worked just fine when I used some on jam. Actually, some of those may have gone on my stew meat as well.

Only lids that get totally bent out of shape on removal are the ones I used on tuna. Jam lids I can break the seal without a dent, unlike my hubby.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I expect that we'll be seeing some of those canning supplies re-enter the market, perhaps on CL or similar sites when folks actually realize that there is work involved. It takes a lot of hard work to produce a crop. And, lots more hard work to preserve that crop.
But being is farmer easy.:hide Bloomberg says all you need to do is put seed in the ground and it grows, right?😳 I mean, a rich guy who probably doesnt know jack about farming should know. 👨‍🌾
Im hoping that with canning supplies being hard to find, just the opposite will happen, that people will start being more self sufficient and stop relying so much on being able to go to the store and just pick it up. We have become to complacent and dependent on others for our needs.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, so in my panic moment I ordered on Amazon the only lids I could find and this is what I got in the mail.
I have never seen white rubber seals before. and this here is the package it came in, I don't know about them. Any experiences with this type?

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 222

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bambi, I'd be a bit concerned. Looks like black spots in the white rings? And, the middle... is it coated with anything that would keep acid foods from etching the metal? They look sketchy to me. If the source is questionable, you have no idea if they are even food safe. I'd send them back.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, so in my panic moment I ordered on Amazon the only lids I could find and this is what I got in the mail.
I have never seen white rubber seals before. and this here is the package it came in, I don't know about them. Any experiences with this type?
Lids made in China? Send them back.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree I will be sending them back. I really can't see any black spots and they are tightly wrapped in plastic wrap so it is hard to tell if there is a coating. Has anyone seen white sealant on lids before?