Where are all the lids???

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Re: canning: you are wise to unleash your inner squirrel. I'd like to always have 2 years worth of supplies on hand.

it's a nice thought but we don't have that kind of room here. we managed last year's tomato harvest but the closet is full and there's no room for my clothes! haha! such a bad spot to be in, i know, but now that we've used a few cases of the tomatoes up and gotten the people the tomatoes they wanted we're able to breathe a bit without breaking anything.

two years would be 600 quarts (not counting the 300 we had stacked up already). we don't have a cellar or much storage space here. i do have to admit that i like the half gallon jars, but they are a different shape so we're going to have to decide if we want to buy them more or not. last year we bought them because they were all that the store had and we needed another 100 quarts.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the "two yrs worth" was more for lids than actual canned goods. 🤔 I have storage for that. With just one to feed, mostly I have room for over a yr of foods. Plus freezer space.

My garden can produce for several but, it has to go to others not me. Often my animals get an amount of the produce. My DD and DGD eat little in the way of veggies...odd. potatoes and beans, not green ones but dried types, are about it. No tomatoes, occasional tomato sauce, or corn on cob, string beans for DGD. DS eats corn, limas, green & dried beans types. None will eat the brassica families, or most of nightshades. Squash, minimal for DS. Don't know how as they ate these as kids when I was raising them! :idunno 😁. They like pumpkin, apple or pecan pie.

So I garden larger but, wonder why. Maybe wishful thinking!

Last edited:

sharron

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i signed up for a notice when lids came in on filmore containers--bulk and got one a couple of days ago, bulk package of 175 gold lids(regular) for $73.00, shipping was really high maybe because i also ordered some 26 oz jars and also some bands but still, i should be good for quite awhile on canning, didn't really need the jars but thats one thing that i buy for enjoyment (i like to garden and can) ,so who am i hurting? plus, we do like to eat lol

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i garden because i would rather get meaningful exercise that way than compared to anything else, and then the added fun of all the plants and things going on with the soil and learning. plus i really hate mowing. i would rather weed an entire day than mow for an hour.

who doesn't like apple, pecan or punkin pie! all three of those are great. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the "two yrs worth" was more for lids than actual canned goods. 🤔 I have storage for that. With just one to feed, mostly I have room for over a yr of foods. Plus freezer space.

My garden can produce for several but, it has to go to others not me. Often my animals get an amount of the produce. My DD and DGD eat little in the way of veggies...odd. potatoes and beans, not green ones but dried types, are about it. No tomatoes, occasional tomato sauce, or corn on cob, string beans for DGD. DS eats corn, limas, green & dried beans types. None will eat the brassica families, or most of nightshades. Squash, minimal for DS. Don't know how as they ate these as kids when I was raising them! :idunno 😁. They like pumpkin, apple or pecan pie.

Yes, Mini. I did say canning SUPPLIES. As for jars: They take up the same amount of space whether they are full or empty! I also freeze excess. My favorite processing is a combination of can + freeze. I load the canner, then... while that load is processing, I prep the rest and pop them into the freezer. Most of my canning is done in pint jars, b/c it's just hubby and myself.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for the first time in months there were quart jars actually on the shelves. they also had some sets of lids and rings for large mouth jars. there were no name brand lids, but they had the budget regular sized lids that i like to use for putting up freezer jam so i picked up a few boxes of those (for $1.25 they're worth it, plus i can often use them several times).

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was at the local Mennonite store the other day and was talking to a lady while we waited in line to check out. She confessed to grabbing the last roll of lids that were on the shelf last summer. I am not sure if it was 50 or 100
lids in that roll. The loll of lids are about 14inches long...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rolls of lids are in the 300+ for regular lids and like 275 for the wide mouth lids.
Proline has regular lids available.... limit 6 boxes I think..... I am ordering the limit just to have on hand.... not terribly expensive.

Latest posts